General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 16 Sep 2015 02:05

I am having trouble trying to print my tree can anyone tell me what to do. I have a Gedcom file but can't open it.

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 16 Sep 2015 05:43

Hi William,
You need to load your Gedcom into a genealogical program (FTM, Legacy, etc.) on your computer. You can open it using either notebook or wordpad - forget which - but it is near enough to gibberish as you'll get.

B

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2015 10:29

As Bernie says, you need a family tree program to print your tree properly.

However if you open it with Notepad you can read it as about 80% of the file is plain text. It is just the start of each line which may seem to be gibberish.

Should you make a repeated spelling mistake in your tree it can sometimes be easier to edit the GEDCOM file rather than look for all the instances on your on-line tree.