General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nuisance phone calls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Sep 2015 14:36

Even though we are registered with TPS we have received numerous calls each day over the past two weeks from Direct Choice Home Improvements - Swansea....found by tracking the number.

They use the tactic "is that Mrs X, Mrs Y" etc. or if Hubby answers "Mr X, Mr Y"

Today I phoned them and told them to STOP calling my number. The chap who took my call said he would do his best.....gawd help them if they phone again.

These companies must know what an irritant they are and we aren't that elderly and have most of our faculties and they distress us!

What about the poor people who would fall for the pressure sales tactics?

It's about time something was done to stop all cold calling, I could cheerfully throttle every person who dials our number.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2015 14:40

Isn't illegal now for UK callers to do that?

I've just had an Asian one asking me to confirm I had private health insurance....which I don't. Not that I told them that of course!!!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Sep 2015 14:48

Tell them you are on the telephone preference and will be reporting them

It's illegal for them to ring you if you are on the TPS

You can report them online to the TPS

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 28 Sep 2015 15:11

Thanks, I have reported them now.

It's difficult for me to actually get to the phone when my mobility is worse and when I find out it's a waste of my effort that doesn't exactly put me in a good mood :-|

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Sep 2015 15:38

I had a call from someone this morning - couldn't understand a word of what he was saying - put the phone down

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Sep 2015 16:13

We had a call I listened as it went to answer phone as all our calls do, they rang off without leaving a message. 'Thank you for calling!'

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Sep 2015 16:32

TPS only works for calls within the UK. So any call centre abroad can still contact you. So reporting to TPS is pointless they are outside their jurisdiction. This is why so many big companies use call centres outside the UK!

finch

finch Report 28 Sep 2015 16:42

I hate it when you get "this is just a survey and it will only take 5 minutes" Me I have not got 5 minutes and I have had to leave the dog in the bath and run downstairs to get your call. Please do not phone again. I find it easier now to answer theses calls and tell them myself not to call. I am not registered with TPS and used to get calls every other 5 minutes. I get about 1 a day now

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 28 Sep 2015 19:43

Many years ago when our two children were just about in school.and who were already able to read and write and do simple sums.......... we were "doorstepped " by this chap doing a survey on kids education,
right at the beginning, I asked, are you selling any thing?
No he said its just a survey so we let him in, and we went through this series of tick boxes, and one question asked, if there was an education package to help your children, would you use it? most likely we answered..........all ok, until he finally said, we have this education project for only £xxx

sorry I said, I asked at the beginning if you were selling anything , you said No, I'm not........ and No we don't want it............he was a bit put out having spent the best part of an hour with the patter........and got no sale........

Sharron

Sharron Report 28 Sep 2015 20:15

I was listening to Karl Denver on YouTube the other day. It was Wimoweh, which I think is brilliant and I di hope the lady from Windows enjoyed it too when I put the phone on the speaker.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Sep 2015 20:54

I decided long ago that registering with the Canadian version of your TPS was useless .......

it doesn't stop politicians calling

it doesn't stop businesses who have had prior contact with you from contacting you

and it has no jurisdiction over calls originating from outside the country ......... hence all the calls from Asia, USA, etc etc that pester us all. Oh yes, you can complain about these calls, and they are SUPPOSED to stop. But what can the TPS or DNCL really do if they are ignored in Asia, US or wherever? It's like the toothless lion!

This is from the National Do Not Call List, Canada .......

Consumers should understand that registering on the National DNCL will reduce but not eliminate all telemarketing calls. There are certain kinds of telemarketing calls that are exempted from the National DNCL Rules.

Exceptions include:

registered charities
political parties and candidates
opinion polling firms or market research firms conducting surveys
newspapers calling to sell a subscription
organizations that have a business relationship with you, for example:
you’ve done business with the organization in the last 18 months
you’ve inquired about the organization's products or services in the last 6 months
you have a written contract with the telemarketer for a service that is still in effect or expired within the last eighteen (18) months;

what's the point, if so many can circumvent the DNCL??????

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Sep 2015 23:32

We rarely answer our phone but leave it to go to ansaphone, and only pick up if it's someone we want to talk to. It seems to work altho some people get a bit confused and just put the phone down after some heavy breathing lol It's easy to check the number calling and ring back if we recognise it.

Lizx

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 29 Sep 2015 00:01

Thank you for the replies.

We don't answer when we see a number short of digits......we have to answer when the number is withheld as family and friends use that.

We do answer when it's a Welsh dial code (as the one in the OP) also when it's an American or Central American code (if we recognise it in time...lolol) that's because of family who live overseas.

I do have a message on the answer phone which states that if they are a nuisance caller they will be reported before I go on to ask family and friends to call one of the mobile numbers (which I don't divulge).

Some days when we come home and I scroll through the caller reports there are up to 6 calls which aren't recognised and haven't left messages. aaaaargh!!!!

Sue x

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 29 Sep 2015 12:13

"You have reached Bob n Jean, sorry we cant take your call, as we are a bit busy in the bedroom, if you like to leave a name or number or a message, we'll get back to you, or you could call again in about an hour..............!"

(takes that long to change the duvet cover, etc......) ;-)

Barry_

Barry_ Report 29 Sep 2015 14:40

The telephone number here is three digit area code + three digit exchange + four digit number.
I have a cell phone and a home phone; each has a different area code.
Both phones have display - name and underneath the number - so I can see who is calling unless it is blocked at source.
The latest calling / pestering ploy that shows on both phones is indeed cunning.
The call display shows the same area code and the same exchange as mine ... and the local number not too different.
The first time I saw this I reasonably thought someone nearby had mis-dialled.
(Perish the thought that even I have to admit I have done this, to my shame!)
For the caller's name it showed my town / exchange, which was most unusual and indeed a first for me.
I answered to discover it was one of these pests who truly annoy us!

What I will call the coup-de-gras from these callers was recently achieved and shown on my home phone.
The name and number displayed twice ... was MY own number ... i.e. I was calling myself!
How these people manipulate the 'system' or whatever is well beyond me.
Whenever I see local numbers I do not answer.
If someone wants me they will leave a message so I will know if the call was from someone known to me.

BTW, I have tried this apparent 'fix' to scramble the caller's phone by repeatedly pressing the # key.
It doesn't make any difference at all, be rest assured!

One of my phones is one digit different to a car dealership ... so I get a few calls from folk wanting to book for a service.
These callers are very nice when I explain they have the wrong number.

Sylvia has explained the 'National do not call register' very well ... and over the many years in 'service' it certainly seems not to be working as we on the 'receiving end' would like.
Why should anyone think it would?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Sep 2015 16:34

Loved todays PPI call, which went to ansaphone. If we don't know if we are eligible - just give them our banks name.

As if!!!!!!!! :-P

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Sep 2015 17:54

Sylvia has explained the Canadian version very well but. look at the 3rd exception on the list:
opinion polling firms or market research firms conducting surveys

How many times have you been told:
"we are not trying to sell anything but just answer 3 quick questions"
Or
"We are doing some Market Research"

If you provide any info..
Your "answers" are sold on to others which results in more calls
Companies purchasing/obtaining the info can legitimately cold call because YOU expressed an interest.... based on your answers.

These calls, are of course No7 on the same exception list!