General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confusing new laptop

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annina

Annina Report 13 Oct 2015 12:41

Help ,my new laptop doesn't have an 'entry' button to put comments on facebook ,my only way of speaking to my brother in Belgium.

Please,any advice to a computer idiot would be appreciated.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2015 12:48

How do you get to the next line?
Like this - if there's no 'enter' button?
There's got to be one - either on the number pad, or at the end of the letter section.
On the letter section, it will probably be a different shape to the rest of the buttons

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Oct 2015 13:37

sometimes left click doesn't work the same as "enter"(carriage return)

Kense

Kense Report 13 Oct 2015 13:43

Is there a key labelled Return or with a left pointing arrow on it?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Oct 2015 14:22

Mine has a big ,almost question mark look button , under backspace button with a left turn arrow on it . That's the return button

Annina

Annina Report 13 Oct 2015 18:50

Thanks folks for help,my daughter solved it for me,it is the button for starting a new paragraph. Why do these things come without instructions? :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2015 19:58

That's what I was trying to explain :-( :-S :-S :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 13 Oct 2015 20:16

I dare say you can get the user manual, online,
once you work out, how to find it!!

strange but all the IT guru's I know assume that you understand their phraseology....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Oct 2015 20:52

Not just IT Guru's - people who put up diversion signs, people who make up forms to fill in, kitchen appliance salesmen, car salesmen etc etc.

My 'comeback', especially if they're male is to suggest they explain how to make a curtain. They've all seen curtains, they've all used curtains, but few know how to make them!!!
Measuring is VERY important, but as it's 'wimin' who tend to make curtains, this usually by-passes them :-D

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 14 Oct 2015 02:47

or knitting. My sister was explaining to me how to count my rows and our brother said "are you sure you're talking English?" :-D

UMMMMMMMMM I think so.

Annina

Annina Report 15 Oct 2015 12:51

Thank you all for help,I have been stumbling around my lappie for about 6 years,but I still havn't learnt the language. I have owned my new one for months but was afraid to use it until my sil scrounged my old one. :-D :-D :-D

Now it is telling me that I have misspelled help,years and havn't,I am sure that is how we were taught in school ,but what do I know?

Kense

Kense Report 15 Oct 2015 13:14

It wants you to put a space after the commas. Also there should be an e in haven't.