General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I thought that

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2015 12:03

As my Pyrex measuring jug is 55 years old, and getting difficult to see the writing, I deserved a new one so I treated myself. I see it could have been a lot older as the one I bought was celebrating 100 years of pyrex. :-D

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 27 Oct 2015 12:12

I still have my Mum's Pyrex rolling pin, complete with cork end stoppers. It's 60 years old.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2015 12:26

Oh yes Claire, I have one of those too 55 years old. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Oct 2015 12:41

I have one of those as well - had it as a wedding present, along with a mixing bowl and a jug :-D- 1959 - so 56 years ago

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2015 15:03

Yes I had the mixing bowl as well, red on the outside. don't have it any more, I didn't break it so must have taken it to a charity shop, it was a bit big if I remember correctly.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 27 Oct 2015 15:19

I have my Pyrex rolling pin...wedding present 59 years ago.
I have some things older than that...a colander of my mothers.
I have a beautiful tea set that was a wedding present for my mum and dad from dads mother I n1931.
Think we oldies are far more sentimental than the present throw away generation! :-)

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 27 Oct 2015 17:18

I still got my pyrex dishes I had for a wedding present 35 yrs ago. Threw hubby away thou a few yrs later.
anne

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2015 17:21

Anne :-D :-D pyrex dishes were more useful???

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 27 Oct 2015 17:37

I have been trying to find Pyrex pie plates. I looked on Amazon and from some of the comments Pyrex have stopped making them.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Oct 2015 17:42

Ah, that is why I can't find a pyrex plate then. I have one that is useful for all sorts of things but is getting old now (not 55 years old though), I have been looking for a while with no success so thanks Polly.

Jane

Jane Report 27 Oct 2015 18:00

I had a Pyrex measuring jug for about 30 yrs and then one day it just suddenly shattered.I was gutted.I sometimes think using it in the microwave so much might have caused it to do that.

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 27 Oct 2015 18:30

I have a pyrex measuring jug too, it was my mothers , must be over 50 years old.

Oh glad its not only me who has been searching for pyrex plates, I broke mine :-(
looks like I wont be able to replace it, such a shame I used it a lot.

Jan x

Linda

Linda Report 27 Oct 2015 18:38

I have one of my g gandmothers vegetable dishes it might have been a wedding present in 1888. I did have two but my mum broke one while she was washing it up

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 27 Oct 2015 19:37

my dishes are only youngsters then compared to everyone else's.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Oct 2015 19:42

Sale: Pyrex Plates Clear opens new browser window Save on Pyrex Plates Clear. Compare And Save! www.salecombo.co.uk/Pyrex+Plates+Clear

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Oct 2015 19:44

Pyrex Plates Sale?
pyrex-plates.idealprice.co.uk/?
Up To 70% Off Pyrex Plates? Pyrex Plates. Compare And Save??

Pyrex Plates Sale?
pyrex-plates.xxl-sale.co.uk/?
Up To 70% Off Pyrex Plates? Pyrex Plates. Free Delivery??
Millions of Products? · Find the best prices? · Save Online Now?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Oct 2015 20:01

I still have my Pyrex measuring jugs and a couple of pie plates bought in Texas in 1967 .......... so 48 years old

I also have my mother's wooden rolling pin dating back to 1927

I still have a couple of the blue casseroles so common in the 1960s, although I shattered one by putting onto an low heat on the electric stove top :-(

We also have a set of "cheap" blue willow pattern plates of different sizes, serving platters and a HUGE tureen ............. it came from f-i-l's family who used it at harvest time on a farm in Westmorland. It probably dates back to at least 1880

M-i-l used the set for all big dinners, buffets etc that she gave, and her cleaning lady got rid of a number of pieces. It was sent over here when m-i-l moved around 1986/7, and OH and his sister shared the set between them.

I say "cheap" because it was probably bought on Kendal Market, and chips of the surface show a reddish sandstoney look.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Oct 2015 10:54

I too have some old Pyrex items, but only from early 1970s.
Mum's Pyrex rolling pin is around somewhere, but think my sister may have inherited that.

Alot of my kitchen items,eg. colander, large mixing bowl and saucepans were bought from ex-Army stock, so show an arrow and date on them. Most are 1967.

Pyrex type plates are frequently seen in charity shops.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 28 Oct 2015 11:35

Gwyn. We have looked in the ex Army shops they all seem to be stocking metal or enamel plates. I never thought, will check out the charity shops.