General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leaves

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Oct 2015 17:39

when we walked to and from the bus today we had to be as careful as if it was icy underfoot. The leaves seem to have come down all at once. (Are they earlier than usual this year?) The leaves are really thick on the ground, and, because they are wet it is lethal walking on them.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Oct 2015 17:58

Fred always monitored the trees around the cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday.

I was always kept informed as to whether they had leaves on or not and how that compared to the previous year. He always had his finger on the price of tea as well!

Anotheranninglos

Anotheranninglos Report 30 Oct 2015 17:58

I think they have fallen early, I live in a small rd surronded by trees and today I was outside sweeping the pavement and garden path, I have never done it this early before. The trees were little saplings when we moved in 35 yrs ago.

Anne

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 Oct 2015 18:06

I think there may be more leaves this year? I've noticed that while some trees ( birches?) dropped early with very dry leaves, the sycamores over the fence at the back of us are still covered with leaves but have also deposited a lot in one go in the garden, last year it was spread out more, even though there are 2 fewer trees than last year as one had to be taken down and one fell in spring.

Autumnleaves

Autumnleaves Report 30 Oct 2015 18:18

Not sure whether the leaves are earlier in falling, maybe it's because we had little Summer that we feel it's not yet time to be Autumn lol.
There were some in town under the market stalls but pedestrian area was pretty clear. I love the Autumn colours- makes me want to get my paints out.

Have posted on the Hobbies....site that THE WORKS have a selection of adult colouring books £3- £7 if anyone is interested.

(under Card making .Scrap book. Adult Colouring ect)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 30 Oct 2015 21:48

Opposite our house are trees and they have positively carpeted the road. Himself clears them up (and outside one neighbours house) because I can slip on those very easily. They seem to stick firmly to the road.

I hate it when the leaves fall as it makes me sad somehow :-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Oct 2015 21:56

I was stood at my bus stop today, and there were beech leaves everywhere.

But no beech trees around :-S

There's a bank of glorious beech trees about 3 roads away - could they have blown all that way?

BrianW

BrianW Report 2 Nov 2015 07:53

They do seem to have all come down at once here (Essex) and be all over the place.
Although our silver birch out front is still fairly well clothed, half green, half yellow.

Dermot

Dermot Report 2 Nov 2015 08:08

Leaves do not just fall in Berkeley Square. ;-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Nov 2015 08:58

according to Chris Packham, of Autumn Watch, speaking on BBC Breakfast this morning, leaf drop is later this year owing to the fact there have been no hard frosts yet - my magnolia tree still has full covering

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 2 Nov 2015 10:35

I have 2 immature trees on my front lawn.
An apple blossom and an acer.
Last Monday, both trees were full of yellow/gold leaves but it became very windy overnight.

By Tuesday morning, both trees were completely bare and the leaves were everywhere. :-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Nov 2015 11:02

The sycamores are late this year, although that could partly be because of the weather earlier in the seasons.
We'd noticed that if it had been particularly dry the leaves start to dry off in September from the bottom up. This year the majority of leaves are still green and only a few have dried and fallen.

We haven't yet had a frost. Once that happens, they'll probably all come off in a whoosh!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 2 Nov 2015 11:13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59x99nk5fCo