General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ninety Seven Years Ago

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 4 Nov 2015 14:00

It is 97 years ago today since my grt Uncle died in WW1, he was just 21 years old. Forever in our memories and may all who have died and suffered in that war and all other wars Rest In Peace.

Frances

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2015 14:06

I know how you feel Frances. It will be 100 years ago on 22nd November 1915 since my great uncle Cpl. Alec John Kill died in Mesopotamia (Iraq). He was 25 years old.
Such a shame for all the families who never saw their loved ones again. As you say, may they Rest in Peace.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Nov 2015 14:25

100 years ago in June, my gt. uncle Claud Turnbull was killed in France.

Also another gt. uncle, Arthur Robert Everson, 97 years ago in March.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Nov 2015 15:21

my uncle, whom I never met, was shot by a sniper when he was nineteen years old - he's on our local war memorial and I shall be planting a cross with his details on it on Remembrance Sunday

my grandmother never knew that he was actually buried, but I discovered the burial ground was bombed and his name is now on the Tiepval Memorial

Family Whispers

Family Whispers Report 4 Nov 2015 21:16

Lives of the First World War: - https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/

Join Imperial War Museum and help tell these Life Stories by adding your images, sharing their stories, find their records and adding known facts.

FW

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Nov 2015 22:20

another of my Dad's brothers was in the WW1 and left a diary which my Dad gave to me - I knew this uncle had at least ten children, all my first cousins, but they had moved to another county in Wales and no one knew where they were - I tried my best to track them down feeling they should have the diary and not me. Eventually I wrote to the Imperial War Museum and asked them if they'd like to have it - they were thrilled to have it so I sent it along together with a resume of his life

Later, through this site, I tracked down his last surviving child - Betty, my first cousin. and fortunately I had taken a copy of the diary so was able to give it to her

He never got to the front, but the deprivation the troops experienced in France was dreadful, soldiers dying of pneumonia and diphtheria, sleeping on straw and very underfed - it makes for horrible reading