General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1 more person who is officially closed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 11 Nov 2015 20:27

Searching 1939 register on FMP and have this message for one household that I'm looking at. Does anyone know what this means ?!? Thank you, K.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Nov 2015 20:31

It means that given their age they may still be alive, generally speaking born after 1915 and not recorded as deceased before 1991. There are many like that, for example my mum born 1920 and died 1999, the record can be opened if you can prove death with a death cert.

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 11 Nov 2015 20:40

Thank you ! That's interesting, must be a visitor as we assume all members of the household to be deceased.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Nov 2015 22:44

it doesn't matter what you assume ............. what matters is if the Register was updated with a death / marriage before 1991 when it seems that it was last done.

If someone died overseas, even in the 1940s or 50s for example, the record may still be closed on the Register because the information did not reach them.

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Nov 2015 23:40

Just as an addition to that, the Isle of Man seems to count as 'overseas' as my father died 1960s and the record is closed.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 Nov 2015 09:54

My sister and I are both closed entries on the record of the couple we moved in with as London evacuees . My sister died in 2002 but they wouldn't be aware of it . It's not some thing I want to persue with certs for her marriage in 1956 and her death cert .

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 12 Nov 2015 13:32

Found that with My parents - but why do they charge you £25.00 per person to change it to open & you have to pay for the death cert too - Or have i misread the blurb

It should be Free to Query the Closed record

You should be able to ask them to open as long as you can give them the death details & prove your connection - without having to pay extra money just to prove a point.

Its so pathetic

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Nov 2015 17:10

Time is money? After all, while a NA employee is checking the submission, they arent doing something else.
It might be more cost effective to take out a rolling monthly sub on FMP. If someone applies via their link, as long as they have a copy of the DC there doesn't appear to be a charge.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Nov 2015 21:09

and didn't FMP pay something like £20 million for the rights??

they've also got to make their money back :-)

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 15 Nov 2015 14:52

Are you saying that even if you have a subscription you have topay to view?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Nov 2015 16:14

Yes Margaret, that's right.
If you are a FMP subscriber you should have been sent a code. That will qualify you for a 25% discount off the 5 household bundle.

Non subscribers who registered their interest early were sent a 10% discount code......except some don't work.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2015 17:33

Margaret ...............

FMP paid over £20 million pounds for the privilege ................. now they've got to get it back :-|

WhiffingSiggs

WhiffingSiggs Report 15 Nov 2015 21:21

Where did they acquire £20million ?!?!?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Nov 2015 21:54

They are part of the publishing empire D C Thompson. Its probably been borrowed from a different Jam Jar.

Margaret in Sussex

Margaret in Sussex Report 16 Nov 2015 15:37

Thank you detective. & Sylvia........ Nothing new there then. sometimes wonder if these people really are value for money.... !!! Especially when we have the bones & want to add the 'meat' ...\\ yes I have had a discount code, but hoped it was for people who don't have subs... Silly me... Ah well "ce la vie" Something else to put a penny by for .... :-(