General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to grow an avocado tree...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Nov 2015 04:17

from the stone......

You could try this.......

http://homes.ninemsn.com.au/2015/11/13/16/01/how-to-grow-an-avocado-from-a-pit

Or you could do what I do....... clean any remaining green bits (gently!) off the stone... be careful not to remove the brown covering & put it in a bowl, cover with water & leave it for a couple of weeks... change the water every few days..... until the stone grows little roots/shoots, then plant it. Don't overwater....... they don't like wet feet.

Or, you could just stick the stone in soil (not a good idea if you don't know which way is up).

I've grown several avocado trees and given them away, currently have three growing in pots on the back deck. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2015 04:53

we used to play around in the 1970s growing avocados indoors that way ............ but we used to soak them in water first, and make sure the base of the pit where the roots would grow from was just above the surface of the water.

One of my friends was ace at growing them this way, I wasn't so successful. I think I got one to develop far enough to be able to plant it :-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 15 Nov 2015 19:36

You can grow peanuts if you get them raw. If memory serves, they have yellow flowers.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Nov 2015 21:37

..... and didn't they used to be called ground nuts??????????

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Nov 2015 22:16

I eat loads of avocados... and usually have a few seeds in a bowl. Unfortunately, there's no space in our garden for an avocado tree :-(

I hope some of the people I've given trees to give me some of their avocados when the trees start producing!

DH hates them, claims they taste like putty.... I wouldn't know, I've never eaten putty.

They make the best chocolate mousse :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Nov 2015 06:15

I love avocados, have four small ones ripening at the mo. I have grown plants before now, I put cocktail sticks in each side, 4 in all, and balanced on a jar of water till the root was strong enough to plant up. Gave them away when I moved .

Lizx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Nov 2015 06:44

Have you tried the avocado chocolate mousse? There are lots of recipes online..... give me a nudge if you can't find one.

The recipe uses 1/3 cup of coconut milk....... I found that a largish can contains enough for 3 lots of mousse, so I freeze the other 2/3, and it's fine.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Nov 2015 17:32

Sounds lovely, will look for the recipe. Thanks, you must know what a chocoholic I am lol

Lizxx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 16 Nov 2015 17:32

Sounds lovely, will look for the recipe. Thanks, you must know what a chocoholic I am lol

Lizxx

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Nov 2015 19:25

Well, if we're going to be pedantic Sylvia, they are not nuts at all, they are legumes. Wasn't there a scheme in the fifties called the Great Ground-nut Scheme, in Africa, that went belly-up. Give me a few minute, I will google it.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Nov 2015 19:33

Right, I've had a look. It was the Tanganyika Groundnut Scheme. Have a look, it is hilarious, more like a Monty Python sketch than a serious government operation.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2015 20:53

Bob ...............

I am old enough, just, to remember that

Plus, of course, we were taught about it in botany :-)