General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Territorial Force Association

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Nov 2015 10:24

Can anyone throw any light as to why the above 'stamp' is shown on the back of my Dad's birth certificate. He was born in November 1915 and on the back the oval 'stamp' is dated 20th December 1915 in the County of Southampton !

I cannot understand what a birth certificate has got to do with the Territorial Force Association.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very welcome.

Many thanks Sheila

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 20 Nov 2015 10:36

I can only think that his father was serving with them and he presented his son's birth certificate so he could be registered as a dependent.

It was probably stamped to show it had been presented.

Chris

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Nov 2015 11:58

Why the County of Southampton?

Hampshire History from wikipedia

The county has in the past been called "Southamptonshire" and appears as such on some Victorian maps. The name of the administrative county was changed from 'County of Southampton' to 'County of Hampshire' on 1 April 1959.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Nov 2015 14:11

Thanks for the replies.

Dad's father is a bit of a mystery, I can find absolutely no record of him after the 1911 Census, no idea what he did during the war and have not even been able to find out when or where he died. I know he was classed as deceased when Dad got married in 1940. Perhaps it was common practice to have a birth certificate stamped by the Territorial Army, as you say for registering a dependent, certainly is feasible.

Many thanks Sheila

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Nov 2015 16:12

I don't know about birth certificates, but death certificates used when dealing with probate are often returned by banks, insurance companies etc. stamped on the back.

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Nov 2015 16:12

If you want to put up ALL the details you know about your grandfather, I'm sure members will only be too glad to try and solve the mystery! Include also your Father's birth details as long as you're happy to. The more you tell us, the more chance of finding something for you. It might her best to start a thread on the Find Ancestors Board rather than continue on here.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Nov 2015 10:41

Thanks for all the replies, very grateful for the information.

From the comments made,I think sadly my grand-dad was already dead when Dad was born. He never spoke of Grand-dad which would be understandable as he would never have known him, very sad but obviously not uncommon during the war.

Makes sense that Dad's birth certificate had to be verified by the Territorial Association to qualify as a dependent, think in the light of this information we might at least have found out when he died.

Thanks again Sheila

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 21 Nov 2015 21:18

For info.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_Force#/search

Unknown

Unknown Report 22 Nov 2015 19:28

Thanks for posting the link, have had a quick look and it looks as if there is loads of information and facts there, will enjoy having a proper look at it now.