General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

loujay

loujay Report 22 Nov 2015 10:05

Can anyone help me I am trying to find out about a relative who was Adopted in to our family through Barnados his daughter wants to know who her real paternal grand parents are .we have applied to Barnados for the info and given his name and date , year he was born but they said there is no record of that name ever being adopted from there . Am I wrong in thinking his new name at time of adoption would of being added to his birth Info file . Thank you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2015 10:23

It won't be on the GRO record of his original birth record

If Barnardos have no record of him through them then it seems he wasn't adopted from them

If he is now deceased then his adoption file would be closed

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2015 10:34

Is the gentleman still living? Although the rules have recently changed, the records are normally closed when the adoptee dies - only he would be allowed full access.

Has she/he tried the social services department where he thinks he may have been born, or even in the area where his adoption was formalised?
They'd be more likely to be involved if his adoption took place after 1927
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/adoptions/

Rather than Barnardo's, might it have been a different organisation? eg
The Church of England Children's Society,
Contact details are on the following thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1355684

Depending on the circumstances, assuming that his records are found, it may turn out that his birth mother was a single woman. [Many people say that their 'Real' parents are those who raised them]

loujay

loujay Report 22 Nov 2015 10:59

Hi Shirley so are you saying his adoptive name would be on the file as well as his original name if he was adopted through them .

loujay

loujay Report 22 Nov 2015 11:03

Thank detective he is still alive will look into them other suggestions thank you so much . The daughter the mother was only fifteen . But the gentleman we are researching looks so much like our relatives so looking at the possibility he is a true member of our family and the info we was told is a cover story .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2015 14:16

If he is still alive then only he can apply for his adoption file

You can't access any info

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2015 14:51

You do need to tell us his year of birth. There are different approaches depending on the answers.

If you think the truth has been fabricated, have you considered DNA testing? How do you know his birth mother was 15 when he was born. Where did that info come from?

You asked earlier if his birth name would on his adoption file. In the majority of cases, yes.

loujay

loujay Report 22 Nov 2015 15:03

Hi detective he was born the 18th December 1948 . It is what a relative told his daughter that she was fifteen and looked after him for 18 months but couldn't cope .