General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crutches & walking sticks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Nov 2015 22:02

I've never had to use either of them until now. :-)

Two crutches....... hobble hobble for a few weeks, until a physio watched me ......and said they were the wrong height! Why hadn't anyone noticed before this?

Now I'm getting better, and am using only one crutch. Hobble Hobble...... until the SAME physio told me I was using the wrong one!!!

I thought the crutch (or walking stick) would be used on the "bad" leg (how am I supposed to know otherwise? I'm not a medical person!). Nope....... the support is to be used on the "good" side!

I can walk/hobble about a little bit, but definitely need the support of the crutch when I climb up or down stairs, or if I go out, as I can't walk for more than five minutes without the leg hurting.

Not sure if I'll be dancing on tables at Christmas :-D

btw....... I made dinner last night! First time for over two months. Himself had to carry the halogen oven first lol........ and he washed up :-D

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Nov 2015 22:04

You and MtG should get together cos she has broken her foot

edit........congrats on reaching 8000 posts..... :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Nov 2015 22:08

TY Mr M...... I hadn't noticed.

I wonder how many of them were RR'd? :-(

Himself was supposed to bring the laundry basket downstairs, I was going to TRY to get some washing done.

He forgot.

No way am I attempting to carry a basket of dirty clothes down two flights of stairs!

:-(

I'm getting to be an expert on the subject of crutches (the metal type lol) :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Nov 2015 22:14

LS ...

you must also make sure that the cane(s) (walking stick) is/are the correct height when you start using them.

I use a metal cane that is adjustable. Wooden ones look nicer, but you can't adjust the height without chopping a bit off the bottom.

and, yes, you also use the cane on the good side ...... which is fine until you b****r up the good side, and have to decide which is the worst side :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 23 Nov 2015 22:29

Daughter - ex-nurse, care worker - told me the handle should reach just above your wrist when arm straight down.

Mine had a label " For the right hand". I'd never noticed this before or since, not that I've looked - but I certainly would find it uncomfortable in my left hand.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Nov 2015 00:01

The crutches are the "Canadian" ones... one for the left arm & one for the right.

I do have a walking stock (metal & adjustable) but I don't feel comfortable with it yet. I'd like one with a "foot" on the end, for more stability.

The bruising has almost disappeared (yup, I've had bruises for over two months!), the swelling has gone down........... so I can stop going commando!!! :-D :-D :-D ...... I did wear undies when I went out ~ I'm not THAT fancy free lol :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2015 00:23

My crutches have two adjustments, one for leg length and one for the elbow support. When standing I can flick back the top and lean on the elbow part. Measuring for both crutch grips and stick handles are measured at the wrist. The leg length adjustment is great because inevitably you would have to adjust according to which pair of shoes you are wearing. Even a small difference in height will give you back pain if they aren't set as correctly as possible.

Yes you do use the walking aid on the opposite side to the bad leg...lolol

Sue

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Nov 2015 03:15

With a name like supercrutch, you are definitely the expert! I should have asked you for advice when I first got home. lol

I'm a bit annoyed........ I was given lessons at the hospital, on how to walk, climb up & down stairs, get in and out of a car etc etc....... but nobody said anything about the length of the crutches (stick length or arm length). Explains why my back was aching when I was on my feet for a little while.

Meanwhile.......... Himself came home, I asked him to take the laundry basket downstairs........ he did, then nicked off really quickly.......... I went into the laundry and found PILES of towels!!!!!!! What a grot!! It's not exactly hard work to stick things in a machine, close the lid and press a few buttons.

I do realise he's been very busy, and taking care of me, and I don't want to seem ungrateful, BUT there must be at least 12 bath towels in the pile, plus bathmats, hand towels etc grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 24 Nov 2015 09:00

I hate trying to get anything off shelves or even in toilets trying to wash hands as you move arm forwards and crutch goes flying backwards need an exclusion zone round me just in case.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Nov 2015 23:16

A few things have been awkward.

We've been out for a few meals, and I've asked for a table near a wall, so that my crutches don't trip anyone. One person suggested I leave the crutches at the reception and collect them on the way out. Someone who obviously has never needed crutches!

I'm glad it's summer, because early on (two months ago) the arm-part of the crutches kept getting caught in my sleeves and driving me nuts. I try to wear tops with no sleeves or very short sleeves.

I am sooooooooooo looking forward to 2016 ~ crutch free :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Nov 2015 00:39

We usually eat at 1 of 3 favourite places, including our very favourite but expensive one.

They all almost automatically show us to a table where I can lean my cane against the wall next to me, where there is a spare chair I can use, or where I can put it on the floor under the table, out of the way.

The expensive one has 3 tables that are really suitable for keeping canes and crutches out of the way, and we always get one of those!

Of course, a cane is a little bit smaller than a crutch :-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 25 Nov 2015 13:05

You can buy table crutch grips but It's much more fun watching people trip over my crutches :-D

The only time I am precious about them is if I am using some of my blinged up ones. I have spent ages spray painting them and sticking rhinestones on and I don't want those ruined ;-)