General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

rail/bus fares

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2015 16:26

used the train today to pop into Cardiff - first time I've used it for a while - paying the guard for the ticket he asked me if I had a bus pass - I showed it to him and he said "well you get discount for that"!!!! Big surprise :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2015 17:29

Sounds good - will you be letting the train take the strain more often now?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2015 17:46

most likely - it's quicker than the bus and far more comfortable :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2015 18:13

So strange how things vary according to area.

Our Freedom (bus) pass is only good on the buses. A few miles away inside the M25, holders can apparently use railway trains for free as long as they stay inside the 'circle'.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Nov 2015 18:17

DET

And the Tube. And the Docklands Light Railway.

All 24/7. But outside of London it's restricted to the same times as the local bus passes.

Edit/Correction
Not on any National Rail service before 09:30 weekdays. (ie can be used on London Overground services) Not at all on HS1 (Kent coast)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2015 18:48

To get free travel on everything, the card has to have been issued by a GLC council, doesn't it? At least, that's what we've been told. If not, we'll have to do some sums and work out if its worth the cost of parking at a train station within the zone!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Nov 2015 19:22

DET

Correct. I presumed you were aware of that from your comment " inside the M25 "

You may recall our 'conversation' on a thread about the Dartford Crossing? As well as my regular journeys on the M25 & M2 I used the train. If using the (Victoria Station) train in either direction after 09:30 I only had to pay for Swanley to/from Herne Bay or Margate. Often travelling back the same day, it made a cheap day return even cheaper.

Initially the London Freedom Pass was not valid 24/7. Personally I think that Boris should go back to that....................

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2015 20:49

I was having second thoughts! My comment was based on relatives experiences & then thought they may have got it wrong.

Are you going to be caught out by only paying from Swanley coastbound? Fingers crossed that you don't get a 'fast' train which doesn't stop there!

Inky1

Inky1 Report 25 Nov 2015 09:40

None of the trains stop at Swanley. The requirement is a valid ticket so whenever an inspector comes through the carriages I show both my train ticket and the Freedom Pass.
Similarly. When going to Stansted Airport from Liverpool Street on the Stansted Express. If I know my travel plans sometime in advance I go on their website to buy Apex tickets. Otherwise if travelling weekends or after 09:30 weekdays I buy my ticket at Liverpool Street and I only pay from Enfield Lock - which I never see as the train whizzes along.
Additional icing on the cake: I bought a Senior Railcard, giving a third discount on those trips to/from Kent, etc.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Nov 2015 11:46

Not sure whether a pensioner bus pass can be used on trains throughout the country at all.

When I first got mine I several years ago it could not be used for any journey from our local station but if we went to the next town (with fewer trains stopping) we could travel free to the next city. That lasted only a few years and now I'm fairly certain that Durham County Council only permits it to be used on buses.

I shall check though, in case they've changed the rules again.

kandj

kandj Report 25 Nov 2015 18:50

A nice surprise for you today then AnnC. Hope you enjoyed your time in Cardiff.