General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

One of those days..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Nov 2015 21:47

...or more like two or three of those days!

OH and I have both been a bit unwell for several days, nothing serious, just bad colds, bad back etc. On Sunday I got up late but decided I must do some jobs so I loaded the washing machine with towels, got some bread going in the bread maker, in one oven I had a big tray bake going to cut into small cakes for a ladies club event and got a chicken on to roast in the other oven. Decided I deserved a cup of tea and that's when I discovered I had no power. Not a power cut because I still had lights.

OH investigated and after a while of testing different appliances decided the washing machine had packed up. Disconnected that and got the power on again. At that point I was sick and had to lie down for a while. Got up after a couple of hours to give OH some now overcooked chicken, bin the lump of dough that never became bread, bin the tray bake which was like a giant biscuit and attempt to do something with several dripping wet, half washed towels.

Yesterday we went to buy a new washing machine and tumble dryer to replace the dead washer-dryer. Found what we wanted and found a charming young lady to serve us. Unfortunately her English was so heavily accented that we couldn't understand her so it took a long while to get everything entered on her computer. Then just as OH was getting out the credit card to pay she just happened to mention that the model we wanted was out of stock and wouldn't be available for some while, possibly not till after Christmas. Not being prepared to wait that long we had to start all over again, choose another model, go through all the computer process again and eventually get it sorted. The two machines are coming tomorrow but as we are replacing one with two himself has spent the day removing a cupboard from the utility room, tiling the floor where the cupboard was and generally rehashing everything to make space.

Have you all dozed off out of boredom yet? If you're still awake I'll go on to today. I woke up to find that my cold was back with a vengeance, streaming nose, throbbing head etc. This afternoon I decided I had to go in to town. It was tipping it down but I really needed to go. Grabbed my shopping bag, library books etc, jumped in the car, drove the short distance to town and parked. Then discovered I had left my handbag with money, credit cards etc at home. Got back in the car, drove home, retrieved bag, drove back to town, parked, got out of car, then remembered I had no money anyway as I had handed it to OH when he needed some cash. I did manage to do my errands and pay for everything by credit card. Arrived home and collapsed in a heap.

Oh, and the cat was sick on the back door mat.

Thank you for listening. I feel better now I've got my frustration out of my system. It can only get better can't it?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Nov 2015 21:53

Vera have you had flu jabs as apparently flu is already around
I hope tomorrow is a better day for you, just decide to have a do nothing day. :-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Nov 2015 21:57

I have had my jab though himself doesn't have it. I think my chances of a do nothing day are non existent. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2015 22:04

poor you Vera - I've had a hell of a week too, but not through illness - the story is far too long to relate on here :-( :-( :-( :-(

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Nov 2015 22:05

I hope you have better days ahead AnnC

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2015 22:08

me too - thanks Vera, and I hope you soon begin to feel a lot better - love to pussums :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Nov 2015 22:18

Vera ............... I hope you and OH soon feel much better. xxx

so far, in the last week we have heard that ..............

a close friend may be very seriously ill

my 85 year old sis-i-l in the UK is in her own little world, cannot walk, cannot speak, has 8 carers a day, and may not last until Christmas

my cousin's daughter died on Sunday in Australia, age 59, of cancer

I'm feeling ............. it has to get better!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 24 Nov 2015 22:32

Sorry to hear that Sylvia. It puts my little tale of woe into perspective - maybe things aren't so bad after all.

kandj

kandj Report 24 Nov 2015 22:55

Sorry to hear your tale of woe Vera. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you both.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Nov 2015 23:41

Vera - and Sylvia, I hope things get better soon - they can hardly get worse. <3

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Nov 2015 02:32

Oooh Vera, what a couple of awful days you've had <3 I hope you're feeling better.

While I was reading your story I felt so sorry for you......... then I got to the bit about the cat, and burst out laughing.

Not funny for you!

I know, I'm twisted! :-0

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Nov 2015 08:37

Poor Vera.........I think you need a hug......but...........hang on, I'll put a gown and mask on first! :-D

Having 'one of those days' is horrible. Having two or more of them is mind boggling, but at least it helps us to appreciate the good days.

Hugs to AnnC and Sylvia as well. These things will pass. <3

kandj

kandj Report 25 Nov 2015 19:06

Hello Vera, I hope that you are having a much better day today.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 25 Nov 2015 19:44

Vera have just seen this thread and I hope you are
feeling a lot better today <3

Also AnnC and Sylvia hope you are both coping as best
as you can <3

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Nov 2015 19:50

thank you Emma - I'll survive :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Nov 2015 20:11

Thank you Emma, I'm feeling a bit better today and OH is nearly back to normal. I've now got a working washing machine and have done the first load so I'm a happy bunny now.