General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA kits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Harry

Harry Report 28 Nov 2015 11:42

Think someone is ordering me a DNA kit from Ancestry. Anyone used one, or have any comments, useful or otherwise. (At 83, rather late in the day, need help tracing relatives due to a dead! end )

Happy days

'An expert is a fairly ordinary person who lives fifty miles away'.

McAlp

McAlp Report 28 Nov 2015 12:10

How exciting Harry
I have no knowledge of them but will look forward to hearing
how it works for you, :-) :-)
Ann

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 28 Nov 2015 12:30

We both did one a while ago, and it gives you the areas you have links to, and anyone who else has similar DNA and their relationship to you. Liz.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Nov 2015 13:18

You never know where it will lead ...
http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/nov/24/baronet-of-stichill-privy-council-rule-dna-evidence

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 28 Nov 2015 13:38

Don't you just love it!

I've always believed that any inherited title ought to be passed via the females in families as then there ought to be precious little dispute over the inheritance. It's much more difficult for anyone to question the legality of an inheritance and title if the line of descent is through females.

It's common sense to me.

Harry

Harry Report 28 Nov 2015 15:05

Thank you kindly folks for your interest and information. Much appreciated.

Best wishes. Happy days

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Nov 2015 23:13

I was in contact with a relation of the man my gran said was my dad's father.
I told him her story, and asked if he would agree to a DNA test.

......I haven't heard from him since.......... :-(

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 28 Nov 2015 23:39

Ancestry are offering 30% discount on DNA this weekend.

Harry

Harry Report 28 Nov 2015 23:44

Most families will have skeletons in their cupboards, Maggie. This seems my last chance to make progress - although I am very hopeful of meeting my ancestors in person, whenever.

Happy days

"I'm thinking of doing things for the last time when I should still be thinking of doing things for the first time."