General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh no now the cat isn't well

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Nov 2015 23:18

This morning I was surprised to wake up and it was light and seeing it was 8oclock

Usually the cat Mr Tiibbs jumps up on me in bed about 6.30 and wanting fuss and really wanting me up . He sometimes settles for about an hour before he tries again .

I got up as needed a bathroom visit and came downstairs to see him curled up on hubby's armchair . He wasn't alert and looked very wan . I put his food down but he didn't budge .

Later when I went upstairs to shower he did come up and went into my bedroom and finally settled on the bed .

He didn't eat till late afternoon when he nibbled at his wet food and then later did eat some dry treats .

He hasn't been out or done a smelly in his tray and is now curled up on my armchair

He looks at me with ' I ain't feeling well ' look and is very slow getting around.

Have looked online and the vet I have him reg with seems to do a Sunday am surgery so hope I can get him looked at

He ain't a happy boy at the mo .

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 28 Nov 2015 23:31

Hope nothing serious Shirley, it is hard when they can't tell us what is wrong.

Keeping him in my thoughts.
Carol

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 28 Nov 2015 23:40

If your vet isn't open then see if you have a Pets at Home near by.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2015 00:02

I hope it's just a slight tummy upset, Shirley.
One of mine came home 2 weeks ago with claw lacerations over his body - and one just above his eye. He slept a lot, in a box in the spare room (as opposed to his 'normal' sleeping place - the sofa), and didn't eat much. I was concerned about his eye, and went to see him from time to time, to check on it's colour, and whether he could open it.
I tend to give my cats three days to 'cure' themselves, as mine aren't used to visiting the vets, and I've found the stress of a visit can make them worse.

Anyway, after 3 days, he came downstairs and ate for England!!

Then he was constantly coming up to me to scratch and remove his dried scabs (eeww I know - but it's what their mummy would do) :-S
The one above his eye was the last to dry (I didn't touch it).
He's fine now, but the scab has taken off his fur, and it looks like his eye is open when he's asleep :-0

He also now sleeps on my bed - he's taken over his brother's place. His brother now sleeps in the box in the spare bedroom, and their sister sleeps on the sofa :-S

She's getting over a series of fur-pulling sessions caused by the stress of fireworks (and she's long-haired, so it looks awful :-()

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2015 00:57

Shirley - beware of the vet saying it's 'kidney trouble'. This seems to be a 'cover-all' for any cat ailment

Due to her habit of pooing on the landing, and my friend wanting to sell his house, I ended up with this friends elderly cat (Sable) - who happened to be the daughter and niece of two cats I had had.
Both the mother and uncle of this cat had, in their latter years, stomach tumours. The mother cat was diagnosed first. She seemed fine, but ate less and less - this lasted for a few weeks and I could feel a lump in her tummy area.
I had her put to sleep, as an invasive operation would more than likely have killed her anyway, as she was so weak.
Then her brother got it. Vet confirmed it.

Four years later, I took Sable to the vet - same symptoms, same lump - different vet..
This vet said it was 'kidney trouble'. I asked where the kidneys were - were they in the stomach area? (knowing full well they weren't) Was that lump in her stomach her kidney? The vet faffed around, not sure what to say.
I then asked to see a different vet, and explained that, having had 2 of Sables relations with the same symptoms and a totally different prognosis, I wanted a second opinion, as I didn't want to have Sable spend the last few weeks of her life having (very expensive) kidney pills shoved down her throat for no reason!!

Sable had an x ray that confirmed a stomach tumour.

Having said all that - Mr Tibbs has probably just got a 'dicky' tummy :-D

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 29 Nov 2015 09:35

Shirlley.
Have you thought it's just hit the cat your hubby isn't around anymore.

It could be a shock to his syste and they do feel it if the person isn't around.

My cats were the same when both my daughters left home

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2015 11:02

Well been to the vet and Mr Tibbs does have a tummy ache . I know yesterday when I stroked him one time as he lay on the floor that he flinched when I got to the side tummy area

He has had painkiller and antibiotic jabs and was told it should make him feel better by the afternoon . Have another appointment for tomorrow morning which can cancel if he picks up and is eating and not being sick .

He is now tucking into his wet food in jelly . Just hope he keeps it down

That was £54 out of my pocket !!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Nov 2015 16:00

I hope Mr Tibbs is soon better Shirley, poor puss.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2015 23:39

Being hungry is always a good sign!! :-D <3

Even better when the 'other end' produces too!!