General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

newspapers online

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 4 Dec 2015 17:33

We have just been notified that our newspapers won't be delivered any more. I'd like to get them on line but would like to know - is the subscription just access or are they going to take up storage space (unwelcome). I'd like to read them on my tablet as well as my pc but not to fill it up - have just bought an ebook reader as I grudged the tablet space when buying more!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Dec 2015 19:18

Most local and national UK newspapers are online with no need for a subscription. They don't take any extra space on yr tablet etc. Unlike the printed version they are updated through the day and often have embedded video.

The DailyMail and theGuardian have the option of an "app" on tablets and pc but work fine just through the browser.

The Telegraph has a paywall of sorts but just deleting the DT cookies resets this to free.

TheTimes and the FinancialTimes have a more elaborate pay wall.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 4 Dec 2015 21:07

Thanks, already had the Guardian on my tablet as it was free if you can put up with the advertising! Will plan what other papers to sign up for(I would have to drive four miles every morning to buy papers and am too deaf to use the radio)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Dec 2015 01:11

you don't have to sign up just ut the url into yr browser
eg http://www.independent.co.uk
or http://www.thesun.co.uk
You will find fewer ads on the browser version of the Grauniad.
Also if running Andoid you can install AdBlock to the browser (free).

and so on. Don't go around thinking that every site has to have an app and be "signed up to"