General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Skwerl

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Dec 2015 00:05

How English sounds to non-English speakers :-S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

How long will you last watching this? I gave up!

:-(

How did the makers of this film figure out that's how English sounds?

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2015 07:59

Sir John Cheke (16 June 1514 – 13 September 1557) was an English classical scholar who wrote:

‘I am of this opinion that our own tung should be written cleane and pure, unmixt and unmangeled with borowing of other tunges; wherein if we take not heed by tiim, ever borowing and never paying, she shall be fain to keep her house as bankrupt‘.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Dec 2015 08:30

I found the film really annoying.

It reminded me (too much) of what it's like for me at times. I have hearing in one ear only, and if there's a lot of background noise I have great difficulty hearing the person sitting next to me.

:-(

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 11:21

That's not English - it's American English - a totally different language!!!

'We' don't say skwerl - we say sqwirrel.

A few examples of the differences in meaning - there are many more pronunciation differences:
http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/americanbritish.html#food

The Woodlands School site is really good :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2015 11:57

British English v. American English.

'Two great nations divided by a common language'. :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 15:03

Exactly, Dermot!! :-D

Robert

Robert Report 10 Dec 2015 15:29

And there are communication problems between Geordies and Cockneys!!

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2015 17:12

The fake sign language interpreter Thami Jantjie, last seen at the Nelson Mandela memorial service gesticulating gibberish, is available to explain the differences between Geordie & Cockney accents. ;-)

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 Dec 2015 19:57

How do you pronounce this word? GHOTI.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 20:44

FISH!! :-D Simples

the [gh] from "laugh", the [o] from "women" and the [ti] from "nation

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 Dec 2015 20:57

Well done Maggie.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 21:01

I learnt it during an interesting Education lecture on 'things not being as they appear'

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2015 21:02

I listened, enthralled, to some French and German politicians on a radio show recently, as they debated in flawless English.

Can you imagine any of our vaunted representatives being invited on to a French or German chat show, and trying to converse in anything other than a laughable version of 'Pidgin English'?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 21:16

I always find the question of why so many Europeans etc can speak English, and the English speaking nations aren't too good at European languages rather unfair.
When I watched Portuguese programmes, at least two every evening contained some English. I'm sure it not only happens in Portugal.

How many foreign languages are we in the UK exposed to on TV?
Also, if we were, which one would be preferred?
The truth is, English is one the most preferred 'foreign' languages to learn, all over the world.

Dermot

Dermot Report 10 Dec 2015 21:24

maggiewinchester - apparently, Spanish is running as a close 2nd to English.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 10 Dec 2015 21:30

..and I believe Cantonese is in the running!!!

BUT, do we want bits of Spanish interspersed into our game shows?