General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Egg Allergy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lavender

lavender Report 11 Dec 2015 21:38

Does anybody suffer with this?

I only developed this as an adult, it took 3 years to work out what was causing the symptoms.

Such a relief to find out, finally :-)

Annx

Annx Report 11 Dec 2015 21:49

It's good you found out Lavender, but you won't be able to have the usual flu jab as it has egg in it. They always ask if you are allergic to egg though.

lavender

lavender Report 11 Dec 2015 22:00

I did have it, Annx!

I'm unsure yet as to whether I can have small quantities of cooked egg in cakes etc. but I suspect not. I think I get a lesser reaction but not wanting any reaction!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Dec 2015 22:47

hi lavender. About 12 years ago, I used to eat eggs until one day after making a fried egg sandwich, 2 minutes passed and then I was violently sick. never been so ill. Thought maybe the egg had gone off!

Left it 2 weeks and tried again. This time only got a piece of egg to my mouth when I started heaving and had to be sick .After that I ate a piece of sponge, swallowed it before it started churning in my stomach and then I was sick again.

Ever since then, I cannot eat any cakes or indeed anything with eggs in, meringues, mayonnaise, all cakes etc..

I was also given the flu jag in 2007 even though I told them of my allergy. They said it would be ok. Well 10 days later I was in hospital with pneumonia!!! They said the jag did not cause it but I have my own reservations about that. never had the jag or eaten eggs since and ive been very well.

What reaction do you take and how unwell does it make you when you eat something containing eggs?

I miss eating things like omelettes and boiled eggs for light snacks etc. But im also dairy free and have stopped eating, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes because I feel better without them and less bloated.

Florence
in the hebrides :-)

lavender

lavender Report 11 Dec 2015 23:24

I'm never sick, Florence. edit* although I do feel a bit nauseous

For a few years the doctors have been unable to explain my enlarged tongue. I've been seen at various hospitals and allergy clinics. So, it's the tongue and swollen mucosa and throat which never exactly returns to normal but then also flares up from that state. I also have allergic symptoms of itching throughout my body and hives on my upper body. This has been happening occasionally but I just couldn't pinpoint what it was. My lips and eyelids swell along with a constricted throat and tight chest.

Some weeks ago I had scrambled egg and smoked salmon whilst away. I had intense symptoms. A couple of weeks later tested the smoked salmon again and that was fine. After some weeks I had two eggs in a sandwich with mayonnaise. I don't normally fancy eggs much.. another severe reaction even though I took the antihistamines quickly. I've been having loads of antihistamines to keep it under control.

I now realise that the lesser reaction is probably caused by lesser amounts of egg in cakes, handling eggs etc.

Two crumbs of a not very cooked chocolate brownie was enough to give a reaction.

It's annoying that the allergy clinic I travelled some distance to attend just asked me to bring what I thought I was allergic to. At the time I just couldn't work it out and tried blueberries, mango, wheat etc. but not egg or dairy.

edit* I did read that it was rare to start an egg allergy in adulthood but that it might be caused by stress affecting the gut flora.

The constant swelling of the tissues in the mouth causes me to bite down on them. I had some removed surgically.

Fly

Fly Report 12 Dec 2015 11:20

Hi Lavender

I have suffered with it for about 35 years getting blisters on my lips and in my mouth.
I had the Flu jab last year and my arm swelled up within half an hour.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 13 Dec 2015 20:08

We chuck away more eggs than we eat as they go out of date. I started hardboiling them when they got near their sell-by date, and pickling them, only to end up with jars and jars of pickled eggs.

lavender

lavender Report 13 Dec 2015 23:12

You could try making Scotch Eggs, Bob. To make them slightly healthier bake them in the oven.

My daughter has made them on occasion but I'm not sure of timings or oven temperatures. You do need to be careful that the sausage meat is thoroughly cooked through.

lavender

lavender Report 13 Dec 2015 23:12

That sounds terrible, Fly! x

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 14 Dec 2015 19:55

"Scottish" eggs, surely. You know how chippy those Jocks can be.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Dec 2015 22:06

Oh my Lavender and Fly! Those symptoms are really extreme. What a problem for you when eating out etc checking to make sure everything is egg free.My worst nightmare is butter! so a sandwich bought in a shop is out of the question. haven't been able to suffer it since I was 2 yrs old.

My SIL is extremely allergic to fish as her throat and joints swell up , so she carries an epi-pen for emergencies which she has used on many occasions.Strange though as this only started in her 30s and wasn't allergic to fish as a child.

Same with the eggs, I ate them when I was younger without any problems so one wonders why, later in life we suddenly have these eating allergies?

Florence
in the hebrides

Fly

Fly Report 16 Dec 2015 09:24

Florence eating out is not an option for me :-(

Robert

Robert Report 16 Dec 2015 11:43

Keep the "Jocks" out of this one, Bob or we'll send the Boys round to give you a Glasgow Kiss!!!!!!!!

lavender

lavender Report 16 Dec 2015 12:11

Allergic to butter, that would be a nuisance too, Florence! :-(

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 16 Dec 2015 21:48

Only joking Robert, honest. I had a drink with my friend Campbell from Edinburgh last night. He even bought his round!