General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sand dog!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2015 15:52

Reading our local paper on line the reporter was talking about the sand dogs we often get in Gloucester city. Apparently they are also seen in other towns. But, has anybody ever seen the sand dog except in its almost completely finished state with the 'sculptor' just putting the finishing touches.

apparently the reporter tried to interview the sculptor in Gloucester but couldn't because of significant language difficulties. :-)

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 13 Dec 2015 15:55

There are a lot of photos on the net, just google "sculpted sand dog".

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Dec 2015 16:42

We have the sand dog man in Winchester.
He sometimes finishes it - but not very often.
I suppose, if he's just sat there, he looks like he's begging.

As for the 'language difficulties' - I would think, developing them would be a good reason not to have to talk to a reporter!! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2015 16:47

there seem to be insinuations that the dog is not sculpted but made from a mould, a scam in fact, but nobody can prove it, nobody seems to have seen him start from a pile of sand.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Dec 2015 18:21

I never thought about a mould, as Portugal has a Sand Sculpture (Fiesa) festival held in the Algarve - and the sculptures there are amazing!!

With the street artists, I always wonder where they get the sand from.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Dec 2015 18:53

Yes I have seen some fantastic sand sculptures in Lanzarote

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Dec 2015 22:16

I met a sand sculpturer in Fuerterventura years ago, he was brilliant. Speaking with him, it turned out his mother worked at our local Theatre Royal, and I took a message back to her when I got back. The best sand sculptures I saw were in Glasgow, in 2000, they were in George Square. I think it was the same company who came to Lowestoft a few years later and did some sculptures near the beach.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 13 Dec 2015 22:52

The company who are in Scotland are Grinneal, they have a video of the sculptures I saw