General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Things you won't get for Christmas :-(

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Dec 2015 12:37

Talking to my brother last night we were bemoaning generally the things you can't get for Christmas these days ( he always says he would like "peace & quiet" lol , not managed that one yet!)

But these were mentioned,

Callard and Bowser toffees ( I didn't know they had gone).

A chocolate bar (I can't remember the name) that he used to like.

Terry's 'Waifa' bars

'Proper' Cadbury chocolate medallions with a robin on one side and Father Christmas on the other.

Coffee creams in milk chocolate ( and to that I would add boxes of chocolates with 'chocolate box' pictures on the cover and odd little chocolate buttons as a 'make weight').

Goya Black Rose perfume. I did find out you can actually get this, it's been re-created but is now expensive ( well to me it is) where back in the day it was quite cheap I think?

Anything you miss or wish 'tasted the same'? ( morning coffee biscuits don't).

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Dec 2015 12:47

My Mum and then my OH loved chocolat brazils. These days the chocolate coating tastes synthetic.

I think a lot of the problems with chocolate is that we became very health conscious (probably justifiably so) and the 'mixture' was changed, less sugar added, probably less cream in the milk content. e.g. Mars bars don't taste the same to me these days but I know they reduced the sugar content.

My Mum always used to buy me a box of Milk Tray, right up until she died. these days since Cadburys were taken over, they really don't taste the same.

I have not seen so many chocolate Father christmases, bells etc to hang on the tree. I think Cadburys used to make them as well. :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Dec 2015 12:54

There's not many of the Cadbury's christmas decorations around Ann, I used to put them in Dan's advent calendar but they don't taste the same either.

ooh sugar mice lol, not that I ever ate them but there was always one in my stocking :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Dec 2015 14:46

Rose, I got a pack (small) of Coffee Latte chocs from our local Sainsbury to munch while I'm watchign telly. I've seen them in other stores this season. They are in a flattish square box and are made by BEECH'S - 10 in a box. Beech's also do violet creams (not opened them yet but a similar set up looking at the box. Also gingers.

The latte ones definitely taste of coffee. Haven't opened the others yet.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Dec 2015 16:37

Quote from a website called Sugarboy.

Callard & Bowser

Best known for their Creamline Toffee, the firm began in 1837 when Daniel Callard and his brother-in-law, J. Bowser opened a confectionery business in Finchley, subsequently moving to larger premises in Euston.

The business flourished and took over other well known manufacturers such as William Nuttall of Doncaster and Smith - Kendon. Callard & Bowser is now part of the Terrys-Suchard group.

Recently Suchard decided to cease production of all Callard and Bowser lines for the UK market. A sad day for The Sugar Boy who loved their toffees. For those disappointed Callard and Bowser toffee fans we can recommend the range by Walker's Nonsuch which is extremely good.

The Sugar Boy is often asked about Callard and Bowser Nougat, another line which has disappeared. we recommend our Almond Nougat from Montelimar which people say is just as delicious.

Linda

Linda Report 15 Dec 2015 21:45

The Callard and Bowser factory was in hayes back in the 60s I went for a Saturday job there but did not get it. Hayes was full of factorys then but they have all gone now

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2015 21:51

You'll laugh......

I miss those really naff stockings! Full of rubbish, but they were fun.

I gave one to my Mum (when she was in her 70s) as a joke, and she loved it....... she said she hadn't had a Christmas stocking since she was a child! We had great silly fun messing about with the toys & games.

The stockings available now have a few awful sweets and maybe a whistle. :-P

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Dec 2015 22:27

LadyScozz, in the early 80s I worked in a toy shop that had lots of little things (1 penny up) for stockings, puzzles, fortune fish, dice, those little toys where you pushed up the base and the animals legs wobbled, plastic parachutists, magnetic ladybirds lol. Used to be fun at Christmas working there.

I've just been watching the end of a program on Christmas' past, where the family recreated Christmas in each decade 40s on, I missed the beginning so will watch the rest on Iplayer.

JoyLouise i will look out for the coffee chocs if I do go to Sainsburys, it's out of town so not a place I go often.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Dec 2015 22:53

Christmas in Oz is ofcourse, in summer.

Years ago, the kids would be out in the street, riding new bikes, playing cricket with new bat & ball, skipping ropes etc

Now they're inside, playing computer games. Sad.

Where I live, lots of kids get boogie boards etc........... and their mothers panic, thinking they're going to be eaten by a shark!

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Dec 2015 13:40

I actually saw sugar mice on sale in a small shop here in Menorca which sells English products.I nearly passed out with shock.
the shop is well patronised by the expat population,but I also have requests from Spanish friends for creme eggs. They say they are for their children, but I have my doubts.
My Dad used to love buttered brazil nuts, but havenĀ“t seen them since before he died nearly 30 years ago.

Annx

Annx Report 16 Dec 2015 19:58

I miss Cadbury's Tiffin Bar. :-S Remember those boxes of sweet cigarettes, I don't expect we'll see those again, but we used to use them as lipstick as children. :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Dec 2015 22:08

I used to love Huntley and Palmer's breakfast biscuits. They were square, with rounded corners, and crisp and crunchy.