General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help, please!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Dec 2015 05:43

Most likely from the ladies, but for all I know, some of the gents may help too.

The moisturiser I have used for years and years has been discontinued. Waaah :-(

It was made by a local company, everything is organic, and I use some of their other products.

The one they now make to replace my favourite is weird....... I don't like the feel of it, I hate the smell of it, and it's not a good base for makeup.

I've bought a different one at the supermarket..... and it's an ok moisturiser, but my foundation is AWFUL..... all streaky & patchy........ and it looks even worse when I put my specs on. :-D

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced moisturiser that won't make my makeup look like a streaky patchwork quilt with rips in it?

I don't trowel it on........... four small dots, one on forehead, one on nose & one on each cheek & blend them all together.

I don't live anywhere near big shopping malls....... if it's not available in a supermarket or pharmacy I don't have much chance of getting it.

:-(

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 18 Dec 2015 07:00

Balaclava?
;-)

B

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 18 Dec 2015 08:46

Simple do some reasonable priced ones.

Liquid and creams. Worth a look into.

They are unperfumed too.

If you want to go a bit more upmarket, try Liz Earle if you can find it. All botanical ingredients.

<3

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 18 Dec 2015 10:40

I have used Olay on my face for 40 years now and my skin is lovely for my age.

Now i am older i use the "sensitive" one.

i apply it before i go to bed and also as a base for my powder and blusher in the morning. :-)

Annina

Annina Report 18 Dec 2015 15:43

Can't go wrong with Nivea, my mother and grandmother also used it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Dec 2015 16:33

I like Garnier Ultra lift.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 18 Dec 2015 17:18

You might have to try a few to find what suits you. I hate Simple moisturiser though I like a lot of their range. Like Stella I find Olay suits me best.

If you are looking for a more natural product have you looked at the Healthspan nurture range? It is a bit on the pricey side and you would have to pay a delivery charge but it might be worth looking at their website.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 18 Dec 2015 19:44

Swarfega.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Dec 2015 20:24

I used Olay for many years, but have now used Aveeno moisturizer and skin lotion for at least 10 years.

I use Aveeno POSITIVELY RADIANT® Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 15 on my face .............. it's oil free, hypoallergenic, and is touted as not blocking pores.

It is part of their Active Naturals line

http://www.aveeno.com/product/aveeno-+positively+radiant-+daily+moisturizer+broad+
spectrum+spf+15.do?sortby=ourPicks

join up spaces

I did try their SPF30 but found it too heavy for my sensitive skin

For body lotion I use Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturising Lotion, with natural colloidal oatmeal. Fragrance free, non-greasy, and non-staining.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Dec 2015 20:56

Thankyou ladies..... and gents

I'll have a look for those products, but I think I'll have to wait until I go up the coast where there are more shops.

Bernie....... a balaclava won't cover my face lol....... maybe a ski mask? Neither of them is a good idea for someone who lives in the sub-tropics :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Dec 2015 23:12

I'm allergic to lanolin :-(
I used to use Bodyshop's 'Hemp' moisturiser, then they stopped doing it.
Now I use their vitamin E range - the night one (thick) at night, the thinner one in the morning.
I think it works. Both my daughters comment on my lack of forehead furrows.
I personally put it down to not giving a doo daa. :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 Dec 2015 23:32

The best compliment I've ever had was when I heard second hand that my granddaughter then in her twenties had taken to use the same moisturisers as the ones I insisted on always buying - Boots protect and perfect,- can you get that in Oz?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Dec 2015 01:18

I used Oil of Olay until I was about 50, thought I needed something more then.

A long time ago I was given a sample of a BIG name moisturiser, which was beautiful, but when I went to get some, it was about $80Au for a very small jar (which would have lasted about a month)...... needless to say, I did not buy it.

Elizabeth....... I think some shops stock some Boots products, but they would be in cities, and I'm nowhere near them (I'm in NSW, about 2-3 hours drive south of Brisbane in Qld).

I've been told Dr LeWinn's is good, but I have no idea if it will be good under foundation.

I'll wait until the silly season is over and head for the shops up north.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Dec 2015 01:24

I used Oil of Ulay - until I developed an allergic reaction :-(
That's my main problem - I find something, works for years, then I erupt!!