General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can you name this Catholic school?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 23 Dec 2015 15:00

I have placed a photo in Keepsafe - Shared Media, which I hope someone will recognise. This photo was taken in the mid-1960's and is a Catholic School in the London area. I would be pleased to know if anyone here could identify it for me.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2015 15:12

Alan you will need to post the link to the keepsafe photo so that people can have a look :-)

edit, when you click on the photo you are sharing you should see a link similar to this in your search bar

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/4819887

Alan

Alan Report 23 Dec 2015 15:46

Thank you Rambling Rose, I am most grateful as this is the first time I have tried this.

Here is the link to the photo I would like to identify:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/22618091

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Dec 2015 16:00

I can't help you Alan but I wondered if there was any way of enlarging the picture without it becoming fuzzy or perhaps try to view the original through a magnifying glass. It looks as though the name could be on a board on the wall if you could manage to enlarge the image somehow.

Alan

Alan Report 23 Dec 2015 16:40

It is tantalizing to think the boards could give a clue but unfortunately the photo is not good enough to gain any info from enlarging or by using a magnifying glass as I've tried both. I am hoping someone will know the place although it may not exist now.

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2015 16:52

Someone might be able to recognise the flats if they saw them being built ? I'm having a look at google images of flats built in the early 60s London, and trying to cross reference with images of RC schools, no luck as yet.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Dec 2015 17:00

Been trying to find a contact us link on the Catholic Diocese of Westminster schools page without success
http://rcdow.org.uk/education/
However, there is a link to Facebook which might be useful if you could upload the photo to that. Haven't tried it as FB links crash my iPad,

Added - there is a contact us link on their 'old' page
http://www.rcdow.org.uk/education/?test

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 23 Dec 2015 17:06

I searched through Google images and came across a similar looking building from a distance and next to flats being erected.....St Mary Magdalene in Paddington.....take a look.....EDIT......scrub that.....it is Our Lady of Dolours

https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/familiar-streets-a-paddington-estate/

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Dec 2015 17:08

The flats/building in the background has quite distinctive windows, are they crittall windows does anyone think?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 23 Dec 2015 17:33

It might be Thomas More RC School, Purley.

Alan

Alan Report 23 Dec 2015 17:40

The windows in the background building certainly look like Crittall type windows. I first thought it was a business/office block but the large windows suggest to me it might be residential.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Dec 2015 18:10

My first impression was that the building was residential but now I am wondering if it is commercial.

Does your research give you any clue at all about what area of London it might be - even a rough idea might help a bit? It's not possible to see from the picture how extensive the school is but my feeling is that it is a primary school rather than a secondary. That's just a feeling though, no evidence for it.

I've looked at lots of web images but no luck so far.

Alan

Alan Report 23 Dec 2015 20:45

My elderly Aunt for whom I am searching this place for and who supplied the image, believes it is in London. She attended the school when very young and before her parents set sail for Australia. Between the years 1951 to 1957 the family lived in Ebury Street, SW1 and Lisle Street WC2 prior to travel and she believes it may be near these places.

However, the family also lived for a time at Garston near Watford. My Aunt was born in 1942 so would have attended the school no older than 15.

The photo was taken by her father on a return trip during the 1960's. I deduced this from the presence of the Morris 1100 in the foreground. This model was launched in 1962.

My Aunt still lives in Australia.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 23 Dec 2015 22:18

Could it possibly be St Joseph's, Cadogan Street? This is about a mile from Ebury Street. If you go into google images and put in St Joseph's, Cadogan Street you will see that the street and buildings are similar to those in your photo, though there are differences. I am not really convinced your school is St Joseph's but it might be worth a look, even if it's just to rule it out.

Joeva

Joeva Report 23 Dec 2015 22:42

I shared your photo to one of my London groups to ask if anyone could identify the school .... three people said it was St.Angela's, Upton Lane, Forest Gate, London. Unfortunately, this is not in the area that your Aunt lived in at that time. So maybe it is just a similar building.

Alan

Alan Report 24 Dec 2015 00:01

Thank you to all of you who are putting such effort into helping me. I realize that a task such as this is what we all enjoy getting involved with. I have looked at all the suggestions so far and feel the place we are looking for does not now exist. I think I hope to discover an archive photo that will help identify the place or find someone with first-hand knowledge. In the meantime thank you all for your efforts so far and I hope you keep looking for me.

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 24 Dec 2015 03:53

Maybe English Heretige could help with the name and place of the flats

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 24 Dec 2015 12:06

Could it be Our Lady of the Rosary school in Marylebone Road. I know this to be a large imposing building. Although I have to say I have not been along there for quite a few years.

However I can tell you that it is neither La Sainte Union de Sacre Coeurs or St Josephs in Highgate.