General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where were you on 31 December 1999?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 31 Dec 2015 21:38

Dear All

Hello

I have a question for you. :-)

What are your memories of the celebrations of the new millennium?

I'll be looking in but for now, I wish you all a very happy and healthy new year.

May peace and contentment be with you and may you have
many happy moments to cherish. <3

Take gentle care
With very best wishes
Love Elizabeth, EOS
xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Dec 2015 21:56

We spent it with a meal at home with daughter, son in law and grandchildren. At 12 we stood outside with our neighbours and watched the firework display over at the nearby golf club. New years day 2000 we all walked over Cleeve Hill, it was frosty and we stopped to listen to all the church bells. Lovely memories.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Dec 2015 22:11

We were at a get together hosted by a member of the extended family + various teenage children . Like AnninGlos, we went outside at midnight and watched the fireworks over the roof tops.
The teenagers were scared that the mobile phone network would crash with the 'millenium bug'. How would they exist without txting? :-D :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Dec 2015 22:15

We went into Norwich city centre to watch the hyped up laser light show. The crowds were incredible but badly policed so it was uncomfortable and a bit scary. The lights were a bit of a let down compared to the firework shows we had watched in previous years but there was a lot going on with a fairground etc

Happy New Year everyone

Lizxx

greyghost

greyghost Report 31 Dec 2015 22:33

On the top of Portsdown Hill overlooking Portsmouth. Watching the fireworks, the search lights going up into the night sky from HM Ships in the dockyard and listening to the ships horns. What a combination!

Happy New Year to all.

Annx

Annx Report 31 Dec 2015 22:34

My house was up for sale as OH and I had just bought a new bungalow together and he had moved in ahead of me. We stood in the bedroom of my old house watching all the fireworks over the city that seemed to go on for ages. The millenium felt like the start of a new life together for us. :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jan 2016 00:37

We went to Vancouver Island and celebrated with 6 close friends. We had a moveable dinner of 3 courses, with each course being at a different house. We ended up at the house that overlooked the bay and watched the fireworks set off from a barge on the water at midnight from her deck.

It was a fantastic evening and night

Huia

Huia Report 1 Jan 2016 02:21

I was in Auckland Domain singing in the so-called Millenium concert. The only trouble is that in my opinion we were merely celebrating the beginning of the last year of the 2nd millenium. After all, a millenium doesnt end until 1000 years have ended, and we were there on the last day of the 1999th year, in theory. To me the 3rd millenium didnt begin until 2000 years had finished. But then it is all purely academic.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 1 Jan 2016 04:27

We were in Germany......... at work, because of the Y2000Freakout

Everyone brought food & drink & we watched saw loads of fireworks from the window.

Not much work got done. :-D

Happy New Year <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Jan 2016 09:16

We booked a three day visit to a hotel on the Kent coast . They had a caberet evening with show girls , comedian etc and a free bar at midnight for the celebratory drink to bring in the new millennium .

Was a great evening and we made some nice friends so we weren't on our own

LynGinN

LynGinN Report 1 Jan 2016 11:53

We were at our daughters - she had a small party for family and friends. She was pregnant with our second Grandson at the time, and he spent last night with us.

A millennium baby who is now 15 :-D

Tawny

Tawny Report 1 Jan 2016 11:59

I was at a hotel in Ayrshire with my parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandmother . At a three night four day(January 2nd is a holiday in Scotland) party the hotel were hosting.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 1 Jan 2016 12:10

I was in The Sun pub (see I love the sun) , Askew Rd, Shepherds Bush. After much argument with my area manager who wanted me to charge a tenner with a buffet for entry, I won and opened on locked door for regulars with no charge. We turned the smaller bar over to the children and entertained ourselves in the other bar. My staff came in and helped out when needed FOC (well a couple of beers). We went out in the courtyard at 12pm and watched everybody elses fireworks. We also stayed open during the day and closed at 6pm. (The other pubs closed between 3 and 7).

When the totting up came at the end of the week out of the 4 pubs in the Bush and the 20 odd in the region, I took most money after overheads. !! I actually took more bar take than 2 of the 4 on the day !! My regional manager commended me YES and my area manager never forgave me :-D :-D :-D but then I was quitting her area with-in 2 weeks

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 1 Jan 2016 12:15

Annx what a beautiful memory for you, It was the 1st Christmas that myself and OH had actually lived together xx

Tawny lovely to see you, I hope you are keeping well. xx

Iris

Iris Report 1 Jan 2016 15:09

we were with son and family ,plus all of our daughter in laws family ,cramed into our sons little house ,son and wife had cooked up a lovely meal for us , needless to say a great time was had by all.
we left at about 12-15am ,the drive home was lovely , one of the church's we passed had lit up a cross on its roof , all you could see was this cross in mid air , made us think of the real reason we had been partying ... :-D
may I wish all on this site a very happy new year .

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 4 Jan 2016 19:13

Dear All

Hello

I am very sorry about the delay in getting back to see the replies.

As always, much appreciated and enjoyed reading about your celebration experience.

THANK YOU ALL. <3

Take gentle care
With best wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jan 2016 19:33

can't recall exactly where I was and what I was doing, but it would have been with my lovely OH - we had another two New Years together and that was it