General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sydney Ferry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jan 2016 10:46

ooooooooooh, I feel queasy! :-(

I'm one of the world's worst sailors, glad I don't need to get a ferry to work every day.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2016/01/07/18/17/manly-ferry-lashed-by-freak-waves-during-perilous-trip-through-sydney-heads

Von

Von Report 7 Jan 2016 13:15

One of the worst journeys I made was on a trip to Jersey.

I was fine until the clock on the wall started swaying :-0

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2016 14:17

I thought you were looking for a guy called Sydney Ferry!!!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 7 Jan 2016 15:29

lol Ann........ I wonder if he'll respond to this post.

Edit: I searched.......... :-D... there's a Sidney Ferry born 1918, no place of birth given....... I don't think he would have been born in Australia :-D

The 2nd worst sea trip I had was from Rotterdam to ? (I was so sick I can't remember the name of the port, on the east coast of England).

The worst? The month it took to get from the UK to Oz, when I was 12. Father didn't help, he shouted at me, said it was all in my mind....... I lost my mind several times a day, over the side ~ for a whole month!

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 7 Jan 2016 17:42

ha, I couldn't resist, 2 Sidney Ferry and 3 Sydney Ferry births show at freebmd :-)

a pair of my ancestors emigrated to Australia, it didn't take and they returned to England

but while living in Sydney, they had a son and named him, yes, Sidney :-D

many years ago on holiday I rode on a hydroplane ferry for about an hour trip

my friend and I were just fine, despite the bouncing on rough water and being stuck in the airless cabin when the air conditioning broke down

until children started throwing up and it became worse than airless ... so we made our way to the deck and stood hanging on to the rail for the rest of the journey

we took pictures of each other with our very long hair standing out at a right angle from our heads

at least we didn't get sick ... but if we had, at least nobody was standing aft of us :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 7 Jan 2016 18:40

my worst ferry trip was back in the fifties when I went from Weymouth to Guernsey - sick all the way across, as were most of the other passengers - I ended up in a bed below the water line tended by the Red Cross - fortunately I flew back, or I'd still be in Guernsey

Annx

Annx Report 7 Jan 2016 19:58

Me too Von. I remember on our trip to Jersey being wary seeing all the sick bags available everywhere. We had a cabin and I remember watching the curtains swinging inwards about a foot from the wall. Crossing the cabin to the toilet was like being on a cakewalk!! We both felt ill but luckily weren't. Coming back was like being on a mill pond and we sat on deck in the sun.

AnnC that sounded a dreadful trip.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2016 07:35

We had the most awful trip across to the Isle of Man. Force nine gale soon after we left Liverpool

Daughter started first puking up much to disgusted looks from other passengers .they weren't that bothered later when they were all sick

Took both of us three days too get over it . Hubby spent all the journey up on deck but he was ok as soon we docked and he wanted to eat

Spent the two weeks there dreading the journey home but it's as still as a millpond and sunny and warm

Wouldn't even contemplate another holiday there though :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 9 Jan 2016 00:29

I get seasick if I walk on a wet lawn.

:-(

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Jan 2016 10:00

Shirley I was just the same going from Liverpool to the Isle of Man. I later thought, "hang on"......did a rapid calculation and yes, I was pregnant! :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Jan 2016 11:03

Cynthia I wasn't !! lol. Our daughter was about 6 years old at the time

We stayed in a cottage where the middle aged daughter ran a bed breakfast evening meal tariff and the evening meal was good old English cooking . It was the first time I had mashed potato and swede mixed together and it was delicious

We went over on our motor bike and sidecar and the ladies of the house (was just mum and daughter) thought we had come over for the TT races . We hadn't but didn't realize that the second week would have road closures for practice runs for the main event . Made getting out and about a bit of a head ache as we were on the opposite side of the island from Douglas . We could see the sea from our bedroom window looking over the terrain and between some small, hills . Beautiful countryside .

edited for some awful ipd corrections that I missed

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Jan 2016 12:14

It think we stayed in Port St. Mary in a small hotel. Our daughter was 18 months at the time and it was there that the penny dropped - her tantrums were more than tantrums.....something was wrong. It took another 30 years before she was finally diagnosed with Asperger's. I always think of that when anyone mentions the IOM - and yes it's a beautiful place.