General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Smart Meters

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Jan 2016 11:38

Does anyone have these installed in their home and if so
are they a saving on your electric and gas bills?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Jan 2016 11:50

Yes we do, for electric and we are on the waiting list for gas.

The meter itself doesn't save you any money but the monitor inside the house does let you see what you are consuming in real time, and on a day to day, week to week and month to month basis and so gives you the opportunity to make decisions where to reduce your consumption.

Our meter also sends its reading automatically to the supplier - it uses mobile phone technology - so no more estimated bills either as they are always bang up to date.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jan 2016 11:52

they personally dont save you money . They give you a monitor that lets you see how much you are using which makes you conscious of how much you are using .and maybe wasting . They also send your meter readings to the provider so that all your bills are accurate and no estimates . means if you pay on a monthly direct debit the provider can give a more accurate monthly charge

its rather like having a water meter which makes you conscious of not wasting water by say letting in run as you clean your teeth etc its literally money down the drain.

I had smart meters installed whilst hubby was in hospital , that was simply because we had applied and they happened to go in then!, Now I am on my own i am very aware of not leaving unnecessary lights on . doing full wash loads etc so i dont waste and pay for that waste energy

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Jan 2016 12:06

Thank you for your replies both very useful

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 13 Jan 2016 16:24

I have just read that there is a disadvantage in that, if you want to swap suppliers you have to have the existing meter taken out and a new one installed. Not sure how they arrange the transition.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 13 Jan 2016 16:44

I had smart meters fitted over a year ago. The first thing... the fitter left a gas leak from the pipe from the meter, nearly blow the garage & house up, 36 hrs without hot water or heating. NOT HAPPY. Then six months later £250 ish. disapeared from my in-credit account, i phoned them (ovo) asking where has it gone to. For some reason they haven't been geting the gas reading, so again an engineer had to re-set the meter. Since then my payments have been "all over the place". I have told OVO to get it sorted or i will find another suppier.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 13 Jan 2016 18:03

Thank you Joan, Ann and Malcolm for your input.