General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Take a look at this FB page :-)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 22:02

https://www.facebook.com/GenealogyResearchAssistant/

Brick walls broken down, interesting articles and helpful advice and links given and all free! :-)

It is run by ex GR members most of whom many of you should know from the FA and Genealogy boards etc; FannyByGaslight, better known as Fans, who still loves a challenge on Welsh brick walls in particular! Tootyfruity, better known as Toots,who is still loving to research anywhere, and researchers who are happy to look anywhere and everywhere from Ireland to New Zealand via America to try and help you with your tree :-)

I even help a little bit myself ;-)

Please come along and say hello, we hope you enjoy reading the posts.
:-D

Island

Island Report 19 Jan 2016 22:38

Cheers Rose! Just had a quick look, what an amazing collection of information. Something for everyone :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 22:44

Island, glad you found it interesting :-)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 19 Jan 2016 22:50

I don't research my tree now but sometimes i research trees for friends so it's handy to know if you are there Rose.. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Jan 2016 22:58

Thanks Rose :-)

I had a look on Farcebook, and found a Scottish one.....

https://www.facebook.com/ScottishGenealogySociety/

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jan 2016 23:10

Pop in any time Stella :-)

LadyScozz that looks interesting though I don't have any Scottish ancestors myself except for McDonald pre 1830 but no clue as to where she originated :-)

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★

**Stella ~by~ Starlight**★..★..★ Report 19 Jan 2016 23:14

Thank you Rose :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 20 Jan 2016 04:21

geeez, I also found Hoosewives of Glasgow

good for a laugh :-D

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 20 Jan 2016 12:40

I feel my brick wall will never be broken down Rose.

I asked for help on here by several members on my great
grandfather Alexander Nerrlie, and like the members I still cannot find
his place of birth or who his parents were.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2016 13:00

I've found your post from 2010 Emma, and see he was born India which certainly makes it tricky!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 20 Jan 2016 13:13

Alexander Nerrlie
Birth: 3 Jan 1868
Death: 7 Feb 1940 - Aberdeen, Aberdeen (Aberdeenshire), Scotland
Marriage: 23 Apr 1886 - Aberdeen, Scotland
Spouse: Ann Donald

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 20 Jan 2016 13:15

I am still not very sure about FB & stand back a bit from it

Is it safe these days as i saw on the news about people getting your address details from it & using it for scam's & other things & people you don't want having your details can find all about you.

I am only signed up to it because of pressure from work friends - but i dont tend to post or know much about it - let alone how to find anyone or anything of interest.

i think i need an idiots guide to finding things on FB

Do they do a book called FB for dummies like they do for other things

Its only FB i have issues about I am fine finding my way around hundreds of other internet sites

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Jan 2016 13:27

Tabitha, I use FB, you can choose your privacy settings to say who sees your posts, mine is "friends only" and I have a different email address. I don't as a rule post anything that I consider private, either for myself or extended family, a few photos of flowers and things of interest to me and that's about it. :-)

I 'like' and see posts from a few pages genealogy, history, locations that kind of thing.

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 20 Jan 2016 13:38

Thank you Rollo but that was his son.

Rose I was told India but don't think he was, one of life's
frustrating ancestry mysteries :-)

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 20 Jan 2016 13:39

I have been helped by Fans and Toots a couple of times.
I was in Australia and on talking to my new Aussie d.i.l found out through them some interesting facts.
Her great grandfather was from a little Welsh village that I lived in about 30 yrs ago,,,it's a small world....
I must say that they both really worked hard and very quickly came back with the information,both on the Welsh and Australian records.
It's a great service they provide....thanks to them I filled in some blanks.