General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

War Horses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 Jan 2016 14:23

If you like horses you will love this

https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Y5XJbSqwriM?rel=0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jan 2016 15:07

oh that really made my day
good to see people able to ride properly, army trained by the look of it

<3

ps: elf n safety won't let you ride without a hard hat in the UK

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Jan 2016 17:08

What a lovely video. Really enjoyed watching that.

I'm not sure your ps is correct Rollo, unless things have changed recently. I think hard hat wearing is only compulsory for under 14s riding on the road. Of course, lots of organisations, riding schools etc. won't take you out without a hat but I think that is more to do with insurance and the fear of being sued.

I love the idea of riding through the waves with the wind in my hair but when I did come off a horse that was doing a fast canter I was damn glad of my hard hat :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Jan 2016 17:17

Now you've done it, Elizabeth.

Hubby saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. He had a horse in his earlier years and I think he's hankering after another now. :-D

I've never been into them but they are beautiful movers.

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 25 Jan 2016 17:33

Having seen the state of my riding hat, that would have been my head, after a nasty accident I had when I was 15 it makes my stomach turn when I see people riding without them.

However well trained a horse and rider may be accidents do happen.

Beautiful video, thanks Elizabeth

Chris

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 25 Jan 2016 19:40

Owners of stables who rent out horses insist that hard hats are worn 'cos of insurance. They usually extend that condition to owners who stable their horses at the yard. Insurers of horses kept on yr own property also insist on hard hats. So there is no law for riders to wear hard hats as such and horse insurance is not compulsory but in effect hats are obligatory.

fwiw the trad black hard hat is of dubious utility but the modern helmets are far better if less elegant.

Long ago before speed traps and such I remember doing the ton on a Triumph 650 Bonneville soon after sunrise across Salisbury plain. No helmet, just a shirt my 501s and a pair of converse. The joy of it.

Before elf n safety and PC and all that I learned to ride at a rellie's stable nr Newmarket. The head lad said we should wear a hat but could be a bit short sighted ;-)

Even at a fast trot or canter a racehorse is a wonder as the hooves dig in to the chalk turf. The joy of it.

The Household Cavalry used to come down to the New Forest for practise nr Sopley and the sight of their huge black horses was something else. Elizabeth's post reminded me of them.

We need to let our young people experience danger. Without having been at the edge nobody is really alive.

Without courage a country is worthless and it is only by testing yourself that you know.

A horse will know the instant you sit on its back.
<3

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 26 Jan 2016 11:52

Son sent it to me - the following was part of it but somehow I managed to "lose" it when posting

WAR HORSES --- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL
Too magnificent not to send on, you'll love the music as well, beautifully played.
These horses were originally bred as "war horses" in the days of knights and armour.
As armour got heavier, bigger horses were needed and the Friesian almost became extinct.
They are back and are one of the most beautiful horses in stature as well as gait.
What gorgeous animals ! Just watching them becomes an emotional experience.
Can you imagine what it would be like to ride one?
Their manes and tails are the longest that I have seen and I noticed that when performing on grass,
their hoofs do not kick up a divot, as they land flat footed.
Creatures such as these are what makes this world so special.
These horses are native to the Netherlands .

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 26 Jan 2016 13:09

That was so beautiful to watch.

I was also amazed at the length of their manes and tails,
thank you for that ElizabethK.

Mersey

Mersey Report 26 Jan 2016 17:08

Just beautiful Elizabeth....thank you for posting :-)

Annx

Annx Report 26 Jan 2016 18:43

Wonderful Elizabethk!!! <3 I love Friesians and my next horse would ideally be one if ever I got one again. Quite a few years ago the Attenborough brothers visited a cemetry near here where there was a display of horsedrawn hearses. I went along to see it as I used to help my then OH build a few horsedrawn vehicles from old plans in 'The Hub'. I was the coachpainter and upholsterer. One hearse was drawn by a pair of these magnificent Friesians and I couldn't believe how gentle and patient they were. I got into conversation with their driver and he told me they were so easy to handle and deal with. He also told me they had cloths draped over their hindquarters so that in Victorian times ladies would not be offended by seeing their 'male' parts!! They just look so exuberant and proud don't they!!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Jan 2016 22:40

Great post Annx

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Jan 2016 03:56

here's another one........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2U6mwKhBS8

His mane & tail are wonderful...........a beautiful horse.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 27 Jan 2016 14:24

Their manes and tails are beautiful -they are so lovely to watch :-)