General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who calls there daughter Alpha ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 5 Feb 2016 19:17

I have an Alpha Mitchell bc 1838 yes I can track her through her years until death in 1908 and I have her in 1841 with Thomas and Ann but where is her baptism.

meanwhile who calls their daughter Alpha ??

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Feb 2016 19:21

Someone who thinks they are 'Educated' enough to know the Greek for One/the first? Was their next child named Beta? ;-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 5 Feb 2016 20:00

There are quite a number of Alpha Mitchells on Ancestry, some with mother's name Alpha. it seems that it's not an unusual christian name.

I see 3 births on FreeBMD, 1845, 1883 and 1893 but can't see one on the 1841 census.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2016 21:15

the same ones who call their 7th son Septimus :-D

or OH's ancestors who gave their youngest daughter the name Vicesima??

It apparently is Latin for 1/20th ................ and she was their 20th child

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Feb 2016 21:45

Sylvia if it were my 20th child I'd call it quits ;-)

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 5 Feb 2016 22:46

Rose........ :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2016 22:48

:-D :-D :-D :-D

she did!!!!!!

Vicesima was the last

Unfortunately Mama died about 6 years later ................ chronic disease of the heart :-0

Is it any wonder????

I reckon she was pregnant or nursing for over 30 years .............. she married in December 1831, first child (a son) born May 1832 ;-) , and last one Vicesima in May 1860

and, they all survived to adulthood

She died just about 3 weeks after Papa had died, so the older ones had to look after the younger ones.

Number 7 child, OH's gt grandfather, was the "lucky" one to take on the farm and any of the younger ones who were still at home. He did have a couple of sisters who were old enough to take charge of the 3 youngest. There were 8 of his siblings living with him on the 1871 Census.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Feb 2016 23:28

One of my ex's names is Gaius.
It was a family name, through the generations.

Now, one of my grandsons has it as a first name :-D

I know it's not numerical or alphabetical - but it's unusual!!!

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 6 Feb 2016 06:38

I made a slip with her year date it´s 1828 not 38. She wasn´t their 1st child (if she was theirs) as there is 7 before her.