General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Question asked countless times before,but....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 6 Feb 2016 10:39

I will not renew my GR membership, which is due sometime this month, but I would like to be able to see my tree, even though I have done nothing about it for some years. How can this be done? I have read that it is possible to view the threads, but not leave a message, but how do I go about viewing my tree?
Would be grateful for any answers on this subject.

Thanks in advance. Eileen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Feb 2016 11:06

I think you should just be able to view your tree from the top line of the screen (next to the Genes logo) where it says "Home", "Family Tree", "Relatives", "Keepsafe" etc. once you have clicked on "Community".

I'm sure if I am wrong someone will know for certain.

Kath. x

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 6 Feb 2016 11:18

Thank you for your prompt reply Kathleen. Hope it works.

Eileen x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Feb 2016 11:18

Kathleen is correct - you can still view and work on your tree. You'll also be able to respond to PM's but not initiate them. Neither will you be able to view trees opened to you whether they are currently accessible, or opened while you are 'free' member.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 6 Feb 2016 11:19

Also, I suggest that you download a gedcom of your tree.

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 6 Feb 2016 12:53

DET.& Inky 1, thank both of you. I have no idea how to "download a Gedcom" though. I didn't know you could still respond to pm's. Great to know.

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Feb 2016 13:00

Claddagh if you click on 'Family Tree' at top of page it gives you the options 'Import Gedcom' and 'Export gedcom', Someone will explain better than I can but it's not too difficult.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 6 Feb 2016 17:55

Further to what RR has posted:-

Sometime after you click 'Export gedcom' you will get an email from GR with a .ged file attached. For me that email generally arrives in about 10 minutes. Other members have sometimes had to wait much longer. It is the contents of your tree in a special format that can be uploaded/imported into most other genealogy software.

Save it to your pc or memory stick.

Note that the file is data only. As such it will include any notes that you have made against individuals. Though those notes might not get uploaded by other software.
But it will not include any items that you have attached (photos, copies of census returns, etc.)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Feb 2016 17:56

Eileen

as long as you just do not pay your subscription, then you revert to being a Free Member ............ which allows you to build your tree, see your tree, read the Boards, and respond to messages sent to you by paying members. Thus you can maintain pm contact with friends on here as long as you still have messages from them in the system.

Just make sure that you have turned OFF Auto Renew, and then do nothing else.

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 7 Feb 2016 10:41

Once again, thank you all for your very helpful, friendly explanations. I will give the Gedcom thingy a whirl.

Eileen x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2016 10:45

One other thing - if you've attached census or other records found on GR, you won't be able access them. Take the time to download them to your home device then up load to re-attach them to the relevant people.
On the other hand, if you do acquire an off-line tree, you can attach them to that or keep in a relevant 'folder'.
Either way, you need to take action before your sub expires.

Claddagh

Claddagh Report 8 Feb 2016 09:19

Oh, thanks for this info DET....trouble is, I don't know the exact date before my sub. Expires. My old schoolfriend in the UK pays it with one of her cards, so she keeps tabs. on this. I send her the euros....must ask her.

Eileen

Inky1

Inky1 Report 8 Feb 2016 10:57

Click ACCOUNT (top of the page)
Then click Subscription Details. This shows the date.