General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 6 Feb 2016 20:03

I am new to this site and don't quite understand how it works. People on my tree have numbers by the side and when I click on them they say there are other trees, but when I click on view nothing happens does anyone know why ?
Thank you in advance

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Feb 2016 20:20

Well other members who have a connection have to open their trees to you before you can view them

Try looking in search members trees for individual names and send out a message by clicking on the find out more box

Don't just ask them to open their trees as this request usually is met with no response .try asking about the individual and your connection to them
:-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Feb 2016 20:34

I think there's an intermittent fault, I've just tried and looking at my mum's name it has 5 matches in the purple star which when clicked show as 2 in records and 3 in trees, clicking on 'trees' does bring up the 3 entries...but it didn't the first two times I clicked . so try again.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Feb 2016 21:26

Welcome to the boards Kay.

Prickles. :-)

Kense

Kense Report 6 Feb 2016 22:00

When you click on trees it opens up another window or tab with the results on but it isn't displayed automatically, you have to look for that tab/window and click on it. Where you need to look may depend on your browser.

Kense

Kense Report 6 Feb 2016 22:15

I'll describe what happens:

I am using Firefox with one window open and this thread displayed.

At the top the tab says "Newbie - General Chat"

I then click on Family Tree and My Tree with the result that the tree overwrites the display but there are now two tabs at the top the new one saying "Family Tree"

I then select one of the numbers in a box and then select the box that says View for Tree Matches.

Nothing apppears to happen but the label on the tab that said "Newbie - General Chat" now says "Genes Reunited".

Selecting that lists the matching trees.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Feb 2016 12:03

That is an excellent description of something that I also found confusing when I started.

While on the subject, please don't copy blindly what other people have on their trees!!

I have just used myself to follow Kense's instructions - I appear in 3 trees, all of them contacts.

One has no birthplace, one has Cardiff (correct) and the other has Padiham, Lancashire! That one also has our sons born there - one was born in London and the other in Ghana!!

Pure fiction. :-S :-S :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Feb 2016 12:25

Kense, thank you for that, I have been on here for ever (it seems) so am by no means a newbie but I have never worked that out before. I have just gone through it and it worked perfectly. But how confusing for people who just join, not user friendly at all really. anyway, thanks I shall have a browse now, even though I don't need to.

Kense

Kense Report 7 Feb 2016 16:50

I am glad it has helped. The problem has caught me out a few times before I remember what is going on.