General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA long shot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 8 Feb 2016 20:33

I dont know enough about DNA but could mine and an aunt once removed prove I am her brothers grandaughter ???

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 8 Feb 2016 21:35

I've had my DNA analysed so have my OH and daughter. It was obvious that she shared her DNA with both of us and she had the same maternal line as I did. The data base declared her as our daughter.

None of this applies to your relationship with your aunt as she's a more distant relative and her maternal line is different to yours.

The DNA should however show you are reasonably closely related but I don't know whether it will show your actual relationship. I have been told I have a second cousin on the database but I can't prove this as the person has not answered my e mail. It may show you're as close as 2 generations.

I'm no expert Uzzi just stating what has happened to us.

Hope it helps a little. :-)

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 Feb 2016 22:06

Just go for it hun xx :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Feb 2016 23:13

JoonieCloonie is keen on DNA testing - see if you can find one of the threads on Genealogical chat, or one where she's posted and send her a PM.

Added - found it
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1356308

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 9 Feb 2016 10:11

Thought you might like to see this from Gedmatch

DNA Testing Realities

Y-DNA can predict a man's likely surname, but not who his father is.

atDNA can lead to recent relatives but to date very few testers get matches higher than 3rd cousin (this is changing due to the increased size of the population tested)

The predictions for relationship are ranges, and may vary widely (this is not a problem with the companies algorithms it is just a statistical reality)

The ancestral origins portions of DNA testing is approximate and may yield broad categories as in "Africa" or "Northern European" but not specify tribe or countries.

DNA testing for genealogy can be expensive and time-consuming.

DNA testing can be very rewarding-- as in verifying your paper tree reflects your DNA.

For adoptees, learning more about your ancestry or discovering relatives which "might" lead to closer family cannot be underestimated but finding close relatives is still relatively difficult for most testers.

DNA testing may reveal unknown ancestry or ancestors, including inaccuracies in the paper records.

Warning: anyone considering a DNA test should be prepared for unexpected results.