General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

members list

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annie

Annie Report 12 Feb 2016 15:53

is there a members list to show you who is still connected with genesreunited ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Feb 2016 16:07

No I'm afraid not. When a paid sub lapses it reverts to free membership so is never removed unless the member deletes the account.

Andrew

Andrew Report 12 Feb 2016 16:07

No there isn't. There is no way to tell if a member is active or not. From the state of the boards I suspect that the number of active (and therefore paying) members is going down.

Andy

Island

Island Report 12 Feb 2016 16:42

It is also likely that members who no longer use the site do not update their contact details, which is frustrating when active members wish to make contact.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2016 19:28

I think GR has no way of knowing how many members are still active on the site ............... it's hard to keep track of the Free members because there is no regular contact with them. Many members, possibly most of the Free members, do not notify GR when they change their email addresses.

The site would only know if a member or someone nominated by the member contacts GR to say that the member is dead / incapacitated / uninterested ............ and people just do not do that,

In addition it is possible for one person to have several Free memberships, as long as they use a different email address and password for each one.

Some members have said in the past that they only look on GR once or twice a year, or after even longer absences .......... one regular contributor reported a couple of weeks ago that she had just received a response to a pm she sent in 2012 :-0

Annie

Annie Report 12 Feb 2016 19:47

thanx everyone a bit disappointed as just joined and message boards and contacts seem poor. but thank you for your help

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2016 20:05

Annie ...........

The huge plus for GR has always been the help offered by the members to other members.

We use our own sources and subscriptions to help others ............. but very few members browse the Boards to look for others interested in the same families.

Free members do have an additional problem. They can read the Boards but cannot reply on them, nor can they contact other members, even if they are interested.

Free members can reply to contact by pm from paid members.

Annie

Annie Report 16 Mar 2016 22:02

I would like to retract this message as I have had so much help from people over the last couple of days . I realise now what the site is about ! Thanks to everyone who has helped me x Annie