General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another Christchurch NZ earthquake.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 14 Feb 2016 07:08

Only 5.9. My nephew and his family lost a jar which fell off a shelf, and the cat has disappeared, but no lives lost. Lots of shops have stuff all over the floor, also libraries, but the buildings have stood up well, I gather.

Allan

Allan Report 14 Feb 2016 09:57

Huia, I heard about this this morning. I'm glad that there have been no casualties.

So soon after the 2011 'quake :-(

I do hope that there are no more. Stay safe all

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Feb 2016 11:08

I have a lot of rellies there some very old.
All of the past destruction has been heart breaking.
Yet the Kiwis don't let it get them down too much.

Dermot

Dermot Report 14 Feb 2016 11:38

‘Certain factors condition civilisation & may encourage or impede it. Civilisation is just an interlude between the ice ages. At any time, the current of glaciation may rise again, cover with ice & stone the works of man, reducing life to some narrow segment of the earth. Or the demon of earthquake, by whose leave we build our cities, may shrug its shoulders & consume us indifferently’.

(*A small excerpt from ‘The Story Of Civilisation’ by Will Durant 1885-1981).