General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Recipes that drive me nuts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2016 01:59

Cup measurements!

Why can't they be in weight?

The most annoying........ 1 cup of butter... and 1 cup of cheese

Cheese? It depends on how fine it's grated!

I just googled and found this:

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2007/04/what-does-1-cup-of-weigh.html

I'm printing it, and will stick it with my cookbooks!

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 Feb 2016 06:15

Cups are all different sizes too and I've seen several recipes with cup measurements combined with weight measurements as well. If it's all in cups it doesn't matter which cup size as it will be in ratio but with weights as well, where do you start?????????

:-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2016 07:03

1 cup of melted butter :-(

Geez, just tell me the weight & I'll melt it!

Cup measurements differ... UK, US & Oz........ and the Oz Tablespoon measure is slightly larger than UK (no idea about the US Tspoon).

The Australian Women's Weekly cookbooks used to have a page showing all the different cup sizes........ not sure if they still do that.

I learned that "1 stick of butter" is 4oz........ find that used in US recipes... because butter comes in a box, 4 sticks, each weighing 4oz.

I have loads of recipe books, going back to my high school book (I had to fight my mother for that one), some in Imperial, some with metric & some with both! Thank goodness for my digital kitchen scales, which do both measurements.

I also get annoyed at.......... 1 large potato :-| again... just give me a weight!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2016 11:54

I'm just the opposite, LadyScozz, here in Canada all of our recipes have measurements not weights. Every now and then I come across a British recipe that looks interesting but it's all in weights. I don't even have a kitchen scale.

Butter is an easy one, a stick of butter is 1/2 a cup. Unlike US our butter dosn't come in sticks but I cut mine up in sticks to fit the butter dish. Actually I prefer to buy butter in the US because it's already in sticks wrapped seperately.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 Feb 2016 17:05

it's an American thing - here in the UK we use weight

Sharron

Sharron Report 16 Feb 2016 18:34

I generally work in slops and dollops.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Feb 2016 19:26

Every time I use slops & dollops, Sharron, it works out perfectly but I can't repeat it 'cause I don't know how big my slops & dollops were.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Feb 2016 22:35

My mother cooked a lot using handfuls, half handfuls, slops & dollops (she also used recipes :-) (

Mum was Scottish........ so she used a lot of wee pinches, and tottie bits........ and the gas on a wee peep.

:-D