General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Book Plug ... A Question to Answer, please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barry_

Barry_ Report 18 Feb 2016 06:08

... for my dear school friend, Julie Jakeway.
I discovered very recently Julie has written a story about her parents called
"A Wartime Romance (And Post-War Reality)"
It is available on A m a z o n.
The cover shows Julie's parents on their wedding day toward the end of WW II.
I still recognise her Mum from when she brought Julie to school ... way back when!
I know GR members have also written books ... and I would like to add Julie's contribution here.
Thank you.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Feb 2016 16:38

I'll take a look :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 18 Feb 2016 16:40

just took a look - seems like a good book but I only spend £1.00 on my kindle books

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Feb 2016 16:58

£2 something makes it affordable for anyone interested, or free with Amazon Prime. I've downloaded a sample to read later.
Good luck to your old school friend - they say there's a book in everyone ;-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 18 Feb 2016 17:07

I have downloaded it...many thanks Barry :-)

magpie

magpie Report 18 Feb 2016 17:46

I've downloaded it too. My parents were married in 1941, so I suppose this could be them as well! Sadly their marriage only lasted 21 months, as my father was killed in Dec 1942, a month before I was born.

Barry_

Barry_ Report 24 Feb 2016 18:48

Thank you very much, DetEcTive, Mersey and magpie for downloading Julie's book.
She writes very well indeed.
Perhaps you can answer a question that bugs me ... yet neither Julie nor me can find an answer!
As I wrote to Julie ...

"Your father is in the RAF as an LAC. However, what really confuses me is his left sleeve by your mother's arm!
This looks like a ring on his uniform of a commissioned officer. One ring would be Flying Officer!
However, he has his LAC prop on his arm and also the eagle flash at the shoulder.
He is an airman without doubt; only they wore the eagle shoulder flash.
Officers do not have this shoulder flash on their uniform.
Be interested to know about that sleeve ring!"

Any thoughts, folks?
Many thanks.
Ciao.