General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Techno phobic needs help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Llamedos Pam

Llamedos Pam Report 26 Feb 2016 11:17

Can anyone help me I have my tree on Ancestry and I want to have the tree printed off as one big tree, this is to take to a family reunion on Sunday when my husband and his sister will meet 1st and 2nd cousins they never knew existed, but it only shows me sections of the tree and Staples have said I can put it on a stick and take it to them but I need to know how get the full tree Thanks in anticipation of some kind fellow able to hep me Pam

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2016 12:21

Ancestry does not have such a feature.

The only way to get what you want is
(a) export the tree from Ancestry into a GED file
(b) send the GED file to one of the firms which offer a full tree printing service. It is quite expensive depending of course on how large yr tree is and if you want yr tree on standard paper or best vellum, coats of arms in colour etc..

I doubt you would get it back by Sunday though.

Ancestry have an excellent app (free) which runs on Android. If you have an Android tablet or smartphone the app is very good for showing yr tree to rellies esp with a tablet. The desktop version of Ancestry does not have anything similar. It would be ready by Sunday!

There is a free Dutch FH program which will print a whole tree. However as you end up with a giant jigsaw to assemble it is not very practical for large trees.

BrianW

BrianW Report 26 Feb 2016 12:27

If you have a laptop computer or can borrow one then it's probably easier to put a free genealogy program on the laptop e.g. PAF, and export a gedcom file from your computer to the laptop. Then view it on the laptop with your rellies.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Feb 2016 20:26

Yes, Brian but as the tree is on Ancestry anyway there is no need to muck around with .ged files or use PAF etc. The tree can be viewed very nicely from the Ancestry Android app in situ! If you have ChromeCast or similar then the tree can be cast onto a typical 40-50in TV which is ideal for family viewing.

I have found that when a bunch of older citizens see a family tree with people they know of on it displayed photos and all on a large color tv screen they connect in a way that never happens with Ay FMP etc on a computer. Stories, anecdotes and corrections ( inc the truth rather than the GRO version ) come tumbling out thick n fast. The Ancestry app is perfect for this.

:-)