General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adult children that move back home

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Feb 2016 22:09

We know many families with older children (late 20s) who are still living at home.... some of them contribute to the home, but some treat their parents like servants & expect everything done for them.

On Friday we saw a gentleman that we don't see very often.... he said he had to get out of the house, because his daughter had moved back home and was driving him and his wife mad!

The gentleman is 92 and his wife is 87.... the daughter is about 65!!!!

She wasn't invited.

The couple are more than capable of looking after themselves. He still drives around town, but not on the freeway, he plays lawn bowls twice a week; they have a little bit of help with housework & gardening (I wonder if the daughter will do anything).

:-0

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2016 22:14

It must be difficult for all of them - she has probably lived an independent life for 40 odd years. Its too late for her to turn back the clock.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Feb 2016 22:46

It's not like she moved in to help her parents.

According to her father, she's expecting them to look after HER! She watches TV while her mother cooks dinner, doesn't help around the house at all.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Feb 2016 22:57

:-S :-0

Island

Island Report 27 Feb 2016 23:42

Doesn't everyone live at home? :-S

What happened to hers?

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Feb 2016 00:51

don't know......... I was too concerned about the parents, I forgot to ask!

Imagine sitting on your backside, waiting for your 87 year old mother to get your dinner.

:-| :-| :-|

ann

ann Report 28 Feb 2016 12:14

I have had my daughter back home with us for 18 months. She is 45 this year. Been divorced and still waiting for ex to put both houses up for sale (court order) as they are in his name .Daughter is on a diet so we don't feed her. I must say say though she has reverted back to being a teenager. She does work full time. Spare time is taken up with going to gym and out and about with her friends. Her bedroom is full up with washing. If she does put washing in the machine its left to me to get out and get it dry. OH has now put a stop to that and told me to leave it on the side. Think the iron has only met her 3 times so now she just buys new clothes. She don't know how to empty dishwasher or put her crockery in it. OH said he is going to teach her, and to put her dirty washing up in her bedroom. Times are going to get tough for her. Other than that she is normal lol

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Feb 2016 13:25

David Attenborough has often described how birds get rid of their reluctant mature offspring by kicking them out of the nest. :-D

Humans in every millennium have learned much from animal & bird behaviour.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 28 Feb 2016 16:17

iv still got half of my kids living at home

if the 2 boys put there washing in the wash basket then they will get
there washing done for them.
when wash and dried it gets put in there room for them to put away
and they clean there own room

they cook there own food as they don't want to eat what we eat
washing up don't even go there with that one

daughter still live at home with us as well as with her young son
she says she is nether moving out
she says why does she need to pay rent and bills if she can put
towards how house bills she also buys a lot of her and sons own food shopping
in witch she does ill give her that
and she works as well and i help with her son by tacking him to school
breakfast club on my way to work

in all we live happily as one big family
:-D :-D :-D

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 28 Feb 2016 19:06

They should kid her on they have both become bed bound and incontinent, "so lucky you came back in time to nurse us both"! She may feel inclined to move on! ;-)

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 28 Feb 2016 21:34

LOL mayfield

when that happens to me that will be the time my daughter puts me in a home
she has even told me

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Feb 2016 22:49

lol Mayfield... what a good idea!

Next time I see him I'll suggest he buys a box of adult nappies & leave them where she can see them.... next to the fridge? On the dining table?