General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

YET MORE info on the 'insane' person in my tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Feb 2016 22:36

James was sentenced to 2 years in prison in 1851 for trying to derail a train.
In March 1852, he was declared Criminally insane and sent to an asylum in Peckham.
In May 1852, he was 'under supervision of the gardener', when, the gardener went into a cottage to return items, James ran off. He was caught a couple of days later, in his home village.
However, in May 1853, yet again 'under the supervision of the gardener', James,
'on pretence of obeying a call of nature upon an adjoining fence' - ran off again.
In a letter to viscount Palmerstone, the clerk of the Lunatic Asylum explained that it was believed James had joined the Army, but it wasn't known which regiment.
He also went on to say that as James' original sentence was for 2 years, which he had spent in the Asylum, and 'The Lunatic had quite recovered from his Lunacy', it was requested that James be formally discharged.

I wonder if he would have been discharged if he hadn't run away?

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 Feb 2016 22:38

Interesting stories Maggie..... :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Feb 2016 23:42

I love the fact that the 'Lunatic had recovered from his Lunacy' :-D
Though he was still 'sullen and argumentative' (which the clerk also says in the letter), it makes you wonder what constituted 'lunacy' was in those days.

If it was being 'sullen and argumentative' - that's more than half the teenagers we've ever known!! :-0

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Feb 2016 09:11

I think you should add this to your other thread Maggie.

It all makes for great reading.

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Feb 2016 18:10

...and just call it 'The crims in my tree'? :-0

Edit: The gran on the other tread was my dad's mum.
This one is my mum's gg uncle - his brother (my gg granddad) - was a policeman! :-S

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 29 Feb 2016 18:14

You couldn't make it up!

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Feb 2016 20:19

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Mar 2016 20:35

I've been having a right old rummage on the internet, and feel I must update James's 'history'
He escaped from the Asylum in 1853, went to Northamptonshire, and joined the Royal Artillery :-D

He spent 21 years in the Army, serving in both Crimea and India.
He gained 4 medals, and his conduct was considered 'Good' on his discharge papers.
However, he did 'appear' 20 times in the misdemeanour book (I suppose once a year on average isn't too bad), and had one court martial!
He married (or 'married', I haven't found the marriage yet). His first child was born in 1867, the last of the four was born in 1870. He died between 1891 and 1901.

I think he repaid his debt to society - much better to be 'fighting for your country', rather than be incarcerated in a lunatic asylum!!!
He was just a right bolshy teenager!! :-D :-D