General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Here's a thought

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 3 Mar 2016 20:08

Nicola Sturgeon's avowed aim is for Scotland to break away from the UK, regardless of the democratic vote of its' citizens. She also says that she is in favour of staying in the EU. She also says that if the majority vote to come out of the EU, it will trigger another referendum north of the border regarding the break-up of the UK. Is she missing a trick here? surely she should be encouraging her supporters to vote to come out of the EU in order to trigger another referendum.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Mar 2016 21:29

No. I think the point is that it would be much easier for an independent Scotland to join the EU if the rest of the UK already belongs.

If the UK leaves the EU, Scotland would have to start from scratch, like any other new applicant, and it would be much more difficult.

Barbra

Barbra Report 3 Mar 2016 21:36

Just don't like Nicola Sturgeon :-|

Andrew

Andrew Report 3 Mar 2016 22:14

Why vote to come out of the UK, but vote to stay in Europe??

Just asking.

Andy

David

David Report 4 Mar 2016 07:55

Is she Mr Salmon's moth piece?

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 4 Mar 2016 11:29

She seems to forget that the EU rejected
the idea of Scotland being a member.

Also she says that Scotland wants to stay in the EU,
I don't remember us having a vote on that.

She will always go for an independent Scotland even
though she got the NO result.

Robert

Robert Report 4 Mar 2016 11:33

With Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond , what chance has Scotland got???

Give them independence, take away the Barnet formula and take away their MPs from Westminster and within 12 months they would be screaming to get back in to the UK.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Mar 2016 12:18

Two of the wealthiest and most powerful provinces in Spain, Basques and Catalonia, want to break away from Castilean Spain. Both are very different from Spain proper with their own languages and history.

Madrid is dead against the idea which could trigger a complete break up of the country. It would veto any attempt by the two provinces to rejoin the EU as independent members. It would also veto any attempt by Scotland to join as an independent member because of the precedent which would be created.

No doubt Scots thought about that during their referendum.

fwiw the current half way indendence of Scotland is politically unstable and unfair on both parties. It cannot endure. Far better to go for full federalism where Scots are entirely free to do their own thing ending the block grant. Defense, foreign affairs and the currency would remain shared. Prob. not street cleaning though.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 4 Mar 2016 19:42

I personally think that the UK is better as one nation. However, following all the nastiness and anti-English sentiments during the run-up to, and following, their referendum, I think that if the English had a vote on whether to expel them from the Union, the result would be a resounding YES. I am not anti Jock by the way. Most of those I have known have been fine.