General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gypsy boy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Mar 2016 21:54

Tournament organisers have confirmed they are investigating an incident in the first-half in which Lee can be heard on referee Craig Joubert's microphone being called a 'gypsy boy'.

What a load of tosh - Sampson Lee is of gypsy stock and no doubt is rightly proud of the fact so how is calling him a gypsy boy offensive?

I am Welsh and if someone calls me Taffy, I'm happy they've taken note of my Welsh accent - I'm proud to be a Taffy

This politically correct mob really get on my wick

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Mar 2016 07:29

Hahahaaa.......I've just heard that too Ann, and couldn't believe what they said!!

What a sensitive lot they are to be sure. Silly people.

I said to my husband that, in genealogy terms, the term 'gypsy' is often used.

Political correctness drives me mad too......... :-D

From the dictionary.....definition of gypsy

A member of a travelling people with dark skin and hair, traditionally living by itinerant trade and fortune telling. Gypsies speak a language (Romany) that is related to Hindi and are believed to have originated in South Asia.

informal
a nomadic or free-spirited person.

:-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2016 08:23

What was the vocal emotion? If used as an insult it was wrong. On the other hand, if it was said to describe him rather than give his number, it's up to Sampson to decide if it was insulting. Is that how he is referred to, with his consent, amongst the professional Rugby community?

In an ideal world, no one should be described by their origin or appearance. There'd be total uproar if the N word, Paki or Jew was used.

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 15 Mar 2016 11:44

Hi Ann:-D <3

I agree with much of what you said in some ways.
However in this situation I did not like it, and I would feel the same way had it been a Wales player saying such a thing during a game.

It was in a scrummage situation Det.:-)

Both Joe Marler and Samson Lee are Props in the front row.
A problem erupted with the scrum and Marler used the term in a derogative way.
It may have been because Marler allowed high feelings about the state of play to get the better of him.
Or it may have been to insult Samson Lee to provoke him and cause a reaction. Possibly to solicit a penalty. Or get the player sent off.

In this instance however, the provoking was picked up on the Refs microphone.

It is often done, by players on all teams at times. Particularly by the more aggressive of personalities.
They know which players can be riled up. They used to rile up Mike Phillips to set him off too!

Myself, I don't like it, and in rugby, abusiveness happens less than in soccer, I think.

Joe Marler has since apologised for the remark
Most players forgive and forget after the match, and are friends again.
Of course they do need to do this, because they may have to play alongside the same player in their clubs or for the Lions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35797945

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Mar 2016 12:25

Ah - right. From the wording of the OP, I thought the Ref had said it. That would be quite unusual.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 15 Mar 2016 12:37

It's a storm in a tea cup......everyone knows what some players mutter to their opponents to get a reaction.

My husband who is from Gypsy stock said it wouldn't bother him in the least.

Just my opinion of course.

Dermot

Dermot Report 15 Mar 2016 12:47

Begorrah! I'm looking forward to St Paddy's day on Thursday - so I am! And I'll enjoy a glass or two of the Devil's brew in his honour - so I will. :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 15 Mar 2016 13:40

Unfortunately, I think there is uproar over too many pettifogging things these days. Am I allowed to say 'pettyfogging'?? :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 15 Mar 2016 13:59

It's not what you say it's how you say it or more specifically maybe how the term has been used in the past?

It's offensive if the intention is to be offensive and provoke ... whether that is 'Gypsy boy' or 'Taffy' or 'Mick' .

Being called Taffy because you're Welsh might be fine, being called Taffy because (as in the rhyme) 'Taffy was a thief' might not be. Likewise 'Mick' might be a term you are comfortable with, the implication that it's short for "thick Mick" might not be.

Personally if you're going to try and insult someone I would suggest it is better to use their name than their nationality or ethnicity...then there is no mistaking the intent :-)

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Mar 2016 18:26

so Sue, now I know why him indoors wears an earring!!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Mar 2016 19:02

now let me think - what's that saying? Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me :-D :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Mar 2016 22:13

not by me it won't :-D

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 15 Mar 2016 22:43

lolol Ann and we had roast hedgehog tonight :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Mar 2016 22:51

oh dear Bob - you were right!! what you said was correct - the true Romany gypsies are nothing at all to do with the itinerant scrap collectors who infest our streets and nick anything they can lay their hands on

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Mar 2016 22:52

roast hedgehog - hmm - do not invite me for lunch again ;-) ;-) ;-)