General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

special needs children

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Mar 2016 10:48

I am passing on this message at my daughters request:

There are some boys and girls that no one invites to birthday parties, there are special kids who want to belong to a hockey, baseball, or football team but they don't get the chance because it is perceived more important to win than be inclusive.
Children with special needs are not rare or strangers. They only want what everyone else wants - to be accepted!!
Can I make a request? Who will copy and paste this in honour of all children who deserve a chance!

Von

Von Report 17 Mar 2016 15:31

Thoroughly agree Elizabeth.
So often people focus on what a child can't do rather than what they can do. <3

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 17 Mar 2016 16:20

Copied and Pasted as requested Elizabeth:-)

I'm hoping that this is what you meant!

There are some boys and girls that no one invites to birthday parties, there are special kids who want to belong to a hockey, baseball, or football team but they don't get the chance because it is perceived more important to win than be inclusive.

Children with special needs are not rare or strangers. They only want what everyone else wants - to be accepted!! <3

I totally agree with Elizabeth's statement, especially with having a Special Needs Grandson<3 and Niece <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Mar 2016 16:50

I think the request to copy and paste is because it is copied from facebook. But yes the message is very true, children with special needs are just children, they should not be treated differently.

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Mar 2016 18:01

In my experience it has always been the so called smart kids that picked on the special needs kid or the sporty kids that picked on them....and then come rewards time at school they get rewarded as they bought the school high marks or sporting awards...meanwhile the school give face value to caring about the special needs kid.

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 17 Mar 2016 19:27

I did c&p my daughters request (snipping tool actually!) - and when I passed on Von's comment to her I got an instant reply of "Well said".
I think it is necessary when thinking of schools to ask "what can you offer if he/she isn't academic/athletic.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Mar 2016 21:25

We have a special needs grandson and he goes to the annex of the local secondery school. They mix with other kids at breaks and often have inter school activities

He is 16 coming up 8 and apart from leaning problems he is on the autistic spectrum

What has benefited him greatly is the after school activity of The Challengers Troop . It's for kids of all capabilities and is a bit like the scouts with extras

Tawny

Tawny Report 17 Mar 2016 21:26

I was born a child with additional needs. When I was age 9 (1993) and in my fifth year at main stream primary school during a parents evening my teacher told my parents not to expect me to get any standard grades (exams we sit in our fourth year of secondary school at about age 15). My parents took me out of that school at the end of the year and moved me to another main stream school. They were afraid that as the teacher did not expect me to pass any exams when aged just 9 that the school would give up trying to teach and support me.

I passed all my standard grades and have held a full time job for 11 years. I started applying for jobs and had to tell them about as I call it my little problem and you could see the interviewer immediately change and go no not suitable. I did however find someone willing to give me a chance despite my little problem. My manager changed and so I told her about my little problem and turns out the previous manager hadn't thought to mention it. My manager said that if I hadn't chosen to tell her she would never have guessed I had a little problem.

I was lucky I finally found somewhere I was accepted for what I could do not judged for what I couldn't. My hope for all people with additional needs is that all that want a job can find one that will accept them for what they can do not judge them for what they can't.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Mar 2016 23:13

Well said, Tawny <3 <3

Everyone has something they 'can't' do/abide/cope with, but it doesn't have a label!!!

Rapidly approaching 60, what I can't abide, even more than when I was young, is people having a 'perception' of what anyone, especially someone approaching 60, should be like/know/be capable of!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

.......and I'm a pretty bolshy 'granarchist'...... :-D :-D