General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Orchids

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2016 00:14

There's a thread on here somewhere...... :-S

I searched & found "orchids" on over 10 pages!!

:-0

Anyway.........

I have some "Moth Orchids"........

The last of the blooms fell off this morning. One of those orchids has been in bloom since August!

The moths have been moved........ and replaced by three other orchids.... two with bright lolly pink blooms & one with very different purple & green blooms.

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2016 08:21

Well done, Scozz!!
Are you an ignorer of orchids or a fusser?

My orchid is still flowering - it's been about 2 months now, and I ignore it

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2016 09:15

Mine thrive on neglect.

I have a packet of orchid food somewhere, but I don't remember when I last used it..... I use half the dose recommended.

Since I've been giving them coffee grounds, I've noticed they have many more flowers...... if you try the coffee, be careful not to cover the whole surface, because it can go a bit hard, and water runs off (my orchids get a dribble of water when I remember).

A few weeks ago, a visiting friend asked me if the orchids were real! She thought they were plastic because they looked "too perfect".

My DH is mad about bromeliads.......... some of the flowers are gigantic, the size of dinner plates!

It's not difficult to grow most things when we live in the sub-tropics (but I've given up on African Violets).

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 23 Mar 2016 09:33

Stray

is a champion Orchid killer :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Mar 2016 09:46

Do you just sprinkle the coffee grounds around the plant LS? I have 6 on my kitchen windowsill north facing. they get watered every two weeks and the occasional feed spray on their leaves. They do flower for ages. We buy them when the garden centre reduces them as a lost cause.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2016 09:58

Hmm, coffee grounds are unavailable in this house - I drink instant, as 'real' coffee has an unfortunate effect on my system :-0 :-S

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Mar 2016 10:49

Ann ~ yes, just sprinkle some on top of the orchid mix........ a couple of mine need repotting, I'll try mixing some coffee ground into the mix, see how it goes.

Maggie ~ maybe you could beg for some, at a local cafe?

:-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Mar 2016 12:27

Some costa cafes have got the grounds in a large container with bags available to help yourselves to. It is good for gardens.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Mar 2016 20:09

Warning .............. if you are thinking of using coffee grounds on house plants.

I ended up with an infestation of those little tiny flies called fungus gnats that flourish on house plants

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2016 20:17

Ooh - AnninGlos, I won't step inside one of those places, until they pay tax!!! :-|

Actually, I won't step inside one, even when they DO pay tax - coffee, my system....etc

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Mar 2016 00:21

My orchids are all outside.

I don't use chemicals on the plants until they are gasping ... chemicals are a last resort for me.

Because of the high humidity here, I watch for mould on plants... and get rid of it with clove oil (a few drops of oil in a spray bottle of water), if I see any sign of bugs/flies I use garlic spray...... the foot & part of a leg of a stocking into a spray bottle, with garlic in the toe (a whole bulb, peeled & squashed), don't put the spray straw into the stocking because the garlic will clog it up, hang the rest of the sock over the side........3/4 fill it with water and add a good squirt of dishwashing liquid. I've had the same bottle for ages, just top up the water & detergent.