General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spam Emails from: HMRC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 7 Apr 2016 17:42

Be Warned about this

For the 2nd time in 4 weeks, I have received an email from a sender claiming to be HMRC.
The email infers that I am due a tax refund of almost £300 and I should "click the link" and fill out a form.
I haven't clicked but I suspect that bank details will be required and it's obvious that the emails are spam.

I received the 2nd email today informing me that I haven't responded to the last one.
I have now blocked the sender and forwarded the Spam to the real HMRC.

These emails are coming from... LITHUANIA!

Someone may just fall for this and I hope it's my African Prince!

Andrew

Andrew Report 7 Apr 2016 18:10

I had one today perporting to be from 'Verified by Visa'. Again a link to click and fill in a form with details. It was good, but some spelling errors and the grammar was wrong.

Andy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Apr 2016 21:13

OH had one yesterday from NatWest, saying he needed to verify his account details or it would be frozen.

As he has never banked with NatWest, it went into Junk.

I also had a silent phone call at midnight which turned out to be from Mali!! :-| :-|

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Apr 2016 11:18

I received a reply from the Phishing team at HMRC who confirm that the emails that I have been receiving are scam.
They are aware of it already and have provided some advice.
HMRC do not issue or advise of a Tax Refund via email.

The Scam emails were addressed to "Dear Customer" so, even without looking at the obvious spelling and grammar errors, I knew that this was not from HMRC.

If you receive an HMRC scam, forward it to: [email protected]

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Apr 2016 11:36

The HMRC ones have been around for several years now. They do send the occasional email but only of a general nature. To see anything personal to you you need to log on to the website and to do that you first need to register and be set up with a unique user id and password.

The other giveaway, especially with bank and money account related scams is that they are almost always in the process of 'upgrading your account'. In all the 50 years I have had accounts not once has one ever been upgraded....! The 'Dear customer' thing is also a big giveaway.