General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA testing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Apr 2016 04:41

I saw an advertisement on TV yesterday, Ancestry.com have a deal.

I didn't get all of the info.... mainly because the TV was at the dentist's, on the ceiling, and I was in the chair.... anything said was converted to text (running across the bottom of the screen).. and I missed a few bits because the dentist's head was in the way, and I often shut my eyes!

Anyway, what I think they said was ~ send for the kit, do a swab, and they will let you know where your ancestors came from... they claim the DNA tests can go back 2000 years! All for the price of $AU150.

I already know where my lot came from in the last 200 years or so..... Scotland & Ireland, I'm pretty sure my Orkney Island ancestors had Viking ancestors, and there's a family "story" about a Spanish sailor wrecked on the west coast of Ireland.

I don't think I want to spend $150 to "maybe" find out that I don't have Spanish or Viking ancestors.

Have any of you done the DNA test?

:-)

Allan

Allan Report 8 Apr 2016 04:48

Yes, Scozz, but not with Ancestry. I went with FTDNA, but I did the YDNA test, mainly to try to find my paternal line.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Apr 2016 04:53

and they've had a much cheaper deal than that going over here and in the UK for several months :-)