General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

We have a SNAKE!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2016 02:00

A nasty, horrible black snake.

It's on the table outside.... just outside the kitchen door.

It's autumn, what's it doing here? It's a warm day for autumn, about 25C, maybe it needs some sun?!!!

Himself is out...... I've left a text message on his 'phone to come home!

I hate snakes.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2016 02:48

Himself came home.........

I had closed the door going to the patio.......... I walked up to the door & jumped, nearly screamed..... something black moved................ good grief.... it was the reflection of my black sandal!

DH stomped around outside, made a lot of noise, but no snake appeared.

Hopefully it's found a warm place to sun itself........... way down the back of the garden.

Neighbours had an old dog (he died a couple of years ago) who was a master snake killer, and he never got bitten!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Apr 2016 02:59

It's springtime here in Canada and the snakes came out of hibernation last week. They come out of a hole in the ground and it's really gross to see this mass of snakes all curled up together, squirming in and out of each other. It doesn't take long for them to dissipate and go their seperate ways. They're simple garter snakes completely harmless and nothing to be afraid of but when you're walking across the lawn and almost step on one it's rather startling.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2016 06:40

We're in Australia & it's autumn. All summer I didn't see one snake (but my husband saw a few, especially on the golf course). It's a warmer than usual day for autumn, but the snakes aren't usually active at this time of year.

So many venemous snakes here... but I keep well away from all of them... even the carpet snakes (pythons).. they're not venemous, but if you think of the last thing that was in their mouth (probably a rat!) you don't want to be bitten.

They made me shudder.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 28 Apr 2016 09:22

One reason I could never live in Oz :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Apr 2016 10:06

me neither Sheila - I don't even like to look at a photograph of a snake

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Apr 2016 10:28

we had a pet python
He died when he was 30 1/2 years old
He was lovely :-D :-D

RIP Henry :-( :-(

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Apr 2016 11:39

I've lived in Oz since 1963 (except for 10 years when we travelled with work)... and in all those years I've seen ... maybe.... 10 snakes. Three of them in the nine years we've lived in our current location.... the rest were when I was working in the bush...!

We're got all sorts of cuddly creatures, snakes, hairy spiders, crocodiles etc etc don't forget the sharks. lol

:-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 28 Apr 2016 13:03

Give me a snake any day to a SPIDER :-0 :-0

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Apr 2016 13:20

Reports say that a cold slithering snake was seen in the Garden of Eden when the authorities were investigating an incident of apples being nicked. :-P

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 28 Apr 2016 15:43

I'm like Joy, I'll take a snake anytime over a spider. Don't know why I'm so terrified of them? Arachnophobia, I guess.

Dermot

Dermot Report 28 Apr 2016 16:37

Petey was a snake, only so big, who lived in a pit with his mother. One day Petey was hissing around the pit when his mother said, “Petey don’t hiss in the pit, go outside the pit to hiss.”

So Petey went outside to hiss. Petey was hissing all around when he finally leaned over and hissed–yep, you guessed it–in the pit again.

Petey’s mother heard Petey hissing in the pit again, and said. “Petey, if you must hiss in the pit, go over to Mrs. Pott’s pit & hiss in her pit.”

So Petey went over to Mrs. Pott’s pit to hiss in her pit, but Mrs. Pott was not at home. So he hissed in her pit anyway.

While Petey was hissing in Mrs. Pott’s pit, Mrs. Pott came along and caught Petey hissing in her pit. She said, “Petey, if you must hiss in a pit, you shouldn’t hiss in my pit! Go to your own pit and hiss.”

This made Petey very sad, and he cried all the way home. When Petey got home his mother saw him crying and said, “Petey, what’s the matter?”

Petey said, “I went over to Mrs. Pott’s to hiss in her pit like you said but Mrs. Pott came home and found me hissing in her pit and said “Petey, if you must hiss in a pit, go on home to your own pit and hiss. Don’t hiss in my pit.”

This made Petey’s mother very angry and she said, “Why that mean old lady. I knew Mrs. Pott when she didn’t have a pit to hiss in.”

(A very old tale copied here! Don't blame me!). :-D

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 28 Apr 2016 19:11

The serpent in the Garden of Eden, for tempting Eve, was condemned to crawl on his belly for eternity. Some punishment for a snake!