General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Update on 'has my computer died'

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Phyll

Phyll Report 7 May 2016 11:09

My SIL phoned the company for me as he thought the problem was with the motherboard.

Following instructions over the phone to: take all cables out of computer, press start button for 30 seconds, replace cables and Bingo, all was working OK. It appears the motherboard had got stuck so all is well at present. Long may it last.
Thanks to all who replied with help or information
Phyll

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 8 May 2016 16:11

Bit like taking the back of old TV's hoovering them out and making sure all the valves were pushed down properly!
Who remembers struggling with the vertical and horizontal hold buttons on the back to get a stable picture? :-D :-D

McAlp

McAlp Report 8 May 2016 21:46

Oh boy they were the days :-D

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 8 May 2016 22:07

Back in the early 60s I used to make quite a bit of pocket money building converter boxes for single channel (BBC only) sets. No worry about CE and safety back then. Those were the days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDPwUhseXlk&list=PL975NjlGoHlQwD244zvcBCS2Ka_SZYIal
:-D

The reason for needing vhold ( and less soften hhold ) was the miserable quality of the British built TV sets. They cost a pretty penny though.

Getting back to laptops and desktops home or office. Hardly any of them have the panels removed for a thorough dose of canned air and defluff. The inevitable result is overheating and burst caps. DELL had to pay zillions in a class case 'cos of this. Since around five years most computers have solid caps but older machines ( pre 2007 ) tend to suffer. Microsoft wish they'd suffer more as bad caps are a big help in rolling out Windows10.

(cap = capacitor a small round piece of electronics which stores an electrical charge, sort of high speed battery. )

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 May 2016 13:31

Mr Faraday would probably turn in his grave too if he knew one of his capacitors was used to trigger the A bomb....!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 May 2016 13:38

Back to the point in question.

In the 1990's we had lots of problems with pc's at work overheating. The Big Bank I worked for seemed to think that buying cheap pc's to save money was a good idea.

Many of the problems were with blown smoothing caps in the Power Supply Units. The on-site engineer kept a handful of spare PSU's which he re-cycled after replacing the defective capacitors.