General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh, B*gger

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 09:50

I've just struggled to put flea stuff on two of my cats - it takes quite an effort.

..then I realised I hadn't 'popped' the cap seal :-|

..do you think they'll let me near them again today? I don't. :-(

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 8 May 2016 09:55

At your peril........ :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2016 10:17

my cat is de-flead with a tablet

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 10:22

I wouldn't even try that, Ann :-0
I've re-caught the smallest and done her.
The other one has disappeared.

The third cat - who was upstairs asleep, is now downstairs, has smelt the stuff, so knows what may happen.
Instead of hanging around me like he normally does, he's gone outside.
Every time I go outside, he runs in the opposite direction. :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 May 2016 10:56

HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL!

Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and apply gentle pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As the cat opens its mouth, pop the pill into the mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail; get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band Aid to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbour’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw away T-shirt and fetch new one from bedroom.

Ring Fire Brigade to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to miss cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to Casualty, sit quietly while doctor stitches finger and forearm and removes remnants of pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Call RSPCA to collect cat and ring pet shop to see if they have any puppies.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 11:14

Yes, that's basically why I wouldn't give my cats tablets :-S :-D :-D :-D

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 May 2016 11:43

Maggie........ invest in a good pair of gauntlets

:-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 11:59

They don't attack, LadyScozz - I could cope with that - they struggle silently, but in a determined way. It's heartbreaking, as though I'm just being plain nasty, and they don't understand. :-( :-(

Having said that - Betty always gives me a good spit afterwards :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 May 2016 17:15

I just wait till my cats are sleeping
then i pop the drops on the back of the neck ;-) ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 17:22

mine appear to be able to smell them in the next room :-(

Edit: Just put it on the third one - as he was walking to the back door, he had a stretch - and I (having previously put a properly open capsule in the kitchen), picked it up, did a stretch myself - and put it on him :-D

So, that's only taken a day.....

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 May 2016 17:30

:-D :-D :-D

I comb mine through every night Before supper
i say

no combie no foodie lol ;-) ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 19:09

That's very organised of you, Joy! :-D

Only one of mine likes being brushed - and she's got the longest fur.
She gets so desperate for a brush, that she has been known to bring a brush to me.

There's a brush been jammed in the corner for a couple of months - she brushes her face (her favourite place to be brushed) on it - all by herself :-D

...that would explain why I haven't bothered to move it :-D :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 8 May 2016 21:58

I have done it every night since they come Maggie
i only comb them for a short time
They know when the combing is over

their dinner is in the dish lol they are not daft :-D :-D

Especially Touchwood who shall we just say likes her food :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 May 2016 23:17

I've had mine since they were born - on my sofa :-|

Mine get fed at about 8am and 8pm.
The morning feed is usually on time, if I'm working - otherwise it isn't :-0

The evening one is just a rough 'guesstimate'.
They may harass me, but if they haven't even touched what they were given at 8am, I'm not going to rush :-\

Two bowls of different dry food, and a huge dog bowl of water are down all the time, so they don't starve!! :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 May 2016 09:10

Lady Scozz , the comment about the Gauntlets bought back memories and made me smile. I inherited my M I L 's cat when she passed and at 21 years old she was a feisty lady. I had to wear gauntlets to groom her as she ha very long silky hair that used to tangle and matt. I had 2 years of fighting with her as she lived to be 23 :-0 and she still fought tooth and claw until a couple of weeks before we lost her

Linda

Linda Report 9 May 2016 17:19

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Jane

Jane Report 9 May 2016 21:02

I just managed today to get the Spot on flea stuff on the cat.3 times chasing around the lounge .I think I got most of it on.Gawd it is one heck of a job !!!..Got the Worm one to do next in a few days :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 May 2016 21:32

My flea stuff gets the worms too :-D

I'd hate to have to shove pills down their necks :-(

When George was 10 months old, he had a 'coming together' with a car, and his jaw was broken.
He was duly 'wired up', and I had to give him antibiotics :-0
These were, I was told, 'palatable' antibiotics. But it depends on the cat.
An example of the fickleness of cats, is that, none of my cats are interested in catnip!

Anyway, there was no way I could use the usual trick of holding the mouth open, popping in pill and holding the mouth shut - not with his broken jaw.

I was fiddling with the packet, pondering, when George came up to me, all playful, and frisky. I just threw the pill his way - he caught it and ate it!!! :-D

This became our game. When the course was finished, I had to carry on with the game, using dry cat food.
Fortunately, he grew out of it.

Linda

Linda Report 9 May 2016 23:59

Sorry girls I've never laugh so much for a long time I've just had this image in my mind of you running around getting hotter and hotter after your poor cats