General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Daft Referendum Quotes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 May 2016 08:38

Classic one from DC today "If we leave the EU war will break out between other member States" or words to that effect.
I wonder if he would like to tell us which Countries he thinks will be involved?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 9 May 2016 09:02

The ideas are getting more ludicrous by the minute aren't they :-D :-D :-D.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 May 2016 09:57

Not actually what he said though is it.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 9 May 2016 10:44

Possibly the European wars since May 1945 have slipped your mind - Greece, Cyprus, Kosovo, Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Ukraine. Hundreds of thousands of people died. Moldova, Ukraine remain on a knife edge while Russia has a very aggressive posture. Russia has a highly armed enclave at Kaliningrad with missiles and leading edge fighter jets.

Cameron makes the very valid point that the UK has in the past turned its back on Europe but that didn't make it go away.

Some of us may know little of the history of far off countries ( an hour from London by fighter jet ) which suggests willful ignorance rather than a wise policy that UK security ends at Dover.

Peace in our time.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 9 May 2016 12:15

Spot on, Rollo.

I knew servicemen who fought or were peacekeepers in those countries so wars well within living memory but people forget - that is, of course, if they ever thought of anything but holidays beyond Britain's borders.

I find it amazing that so many people haven't a clue what's going on around them let alone in the rest of the world.

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 9 May 2016 16:00

I do agree with you Rollo...don't always!"

Guinevere

Guinevere Report 9 May 2016 17:41

Agree that he didn't actually say that. Making things up is not debate.

Dermot

Dermot Report 9 May 2016 17:55

To whom do we turn urgently for just a smidgen of unbiased & tolerable advice/information before placing our 'mark' using a much used grubby pencil on an important piece of paper?

Is there a cure for Europhobia? Unjust aggression from all sides & wall-to-wall scaremongering I can do without.