General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Exporting my tree from Genes to Ancestary

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jason

jason Report 12 May 2016 18:12

ive exported my tree to ancestary and ive found that its not filled in all the names anyone know about this

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 May 2016 21:08

Sounds strange - try doing it again. Although things can go wrong, that's certanly a new one :-S

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 May 2016 15:46

You mean that the other details (eg birth date/year) for a person are there, just that the name boxes are blank?

It could be a problem with either the download (though I have never had that with any of the GR geds over the years) or with the upload into Ancestry.

If still a problem after following DET's advice, then try looking for that persons name in the gedcom file. Open it with Notepad & scroll down. But that could take a long time if you have a few thousand names.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 13 May 2016 15:52

Afterthought.

Copy/paste the whole record set from Notepad into Excel and use the search facility?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 May 2016 19:50

OR

contact Genes Reunited Support at the following email address, and elt them know, ask what's wrong, how to correct it

[email protected]

Kense

Kense Report 13 May 2016 22:39

No need to copy into Excel as Notepad has a search facility.

If the expected name isn't found in the GEDCOM then it must be a GR problem. If the name is there then it is possibly an Ancestry fault.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 May 2016 14:08

There have been a number of problems reported with GR Gedcom Exports for a number of years now.

Whilst it may seem unconnected, many issues seem to relate back to errors in the manner in which dates have originally been entered or if there are certain types of non alpha numeric characters in text fields.

There are no doubt many other factors but the result is some form of corruption in the format of the gedcom file which causes the importing application to interpret the information incorrectly, with problems such as data appearing in the wrong fields or apparently missing altogether.

It is worth trying running a new gedcom and if the problem is still the same, asking GR to investigate. If you do that you will need to give then some specific examples of names that are missing for them to check it out.

Some years back I did some tests moving files between GR, my PC tree program and Ancestry all in both directions, and moving from GR to another destination did occasionally result in 'lost' records, whereas transfers to GR from the other sources usually worked correctly. However I was unable to specifically pinpoint what was causing the problem.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 May 2016 14:43

When exporting from Ancestry...

When you get to the 'Download your Gedcom file' RIGHT click on it and select from the Menu 'Save target as' option. This will open displaying your customary Download folder and request a file name (and suggest a previous file name if applicable). Name the file and 'hey presto' you have a saved Ged file for conventional export.

Otherwise you will get a plain text file without all the GED gobbledegook.

IGP point that GR has made a mess of date formats is correct. It is one of several errors they have made. GR is not the best of choices for building a tree even for free.