General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Barclays!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 May 2016 20:14

I enjoy watching football s much as I enjoy paying bank charges which is why it pleases me not at all to see Barclays proclaiming how much money they are spending on football promotion.

That is MY money buying those tickets.Grrrrr.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 15 May 2016 21:21

you are a shareholder then ?

Sharron

Sharron Report 15 May 2016 21:29

I pay bank charges then!

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 15 May 2016 21:32

I'm with you on this Sharron.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 May 2016 23:33

I too agree with you, Sharron - and they've had a 25% drop in profits :-S

...mind you, I fortunately don't bank with Barclays, and never will :-D :-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 May 2016 06:25

The Bank only does it because the exposure it gives to their brand generates more business than it costs them.

It actually helps to keep your charges down.....!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2016 10:30

Does the exposure really work? Are people so shallow they'll open an account with them solely on the basis they sponsor a football tournament?? :-S

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 16 May 2016 11:02

No DET as I would not touch them with a barge pole and I as you know am football crazy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2016 12:01

You'd have thought they (or any 'Bank') would get more new customers if they supported/sponsored some sort of community project rather than a one which only benefits the shareholders or owners.
Barclays aren't the only ones involved - Halifax and others have their logos in the background when sports (wo)men are interviewed

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 May 2016 12:32

Yes, it does work, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Even before promotion as it is today, I remember back in the 1970's when the banks used to queue up to get exposure at televised football matches. The Bank I worked for used to have their marketing team on a moments notice to be ready when the TV said they were going to televise, which in those days was only announced a day or so before the game.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 16 May 2016 13:03

It is not the sponsorship as such that gets them new customers but the fact that their name/logo is constantly in view to people at the match and when a match is televised their name is constantly flashed in front of millions of eyes.

Many moons ago I worked in market research and you would be surprised what people take in without realising it.